• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Takata Air Bags ....seriously?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it interesting that with all of the investigation that they are unable to replicate the exact conditions that cause the problem with Takata air bags. Unless it is similar to the Pinto exploding gas tanks?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that with all of the investigation that they are unable to replicate the exact conditions that cause the problem with Takata air bags. Unless it is similar to the Pinto exploding gas tanks?
Not hard; you have a "black box" recorder in your car; any time an air bag goes off it records the last 15 to 30 seconds before it went off. So it's actually recording all the time, but it doesn't save it unless the airbag goes off.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not hard; you have a "black box" recorder in your car; any time an air bag goes off it records the last 15 to 30 seconds before it went off. So it's actually recording all the time, but it doesn't save it unless the airbag goes off.

Problem is it isn't just the instantaneous condition ------
airbag%2Bdiagram.jpg

Its also the conditions when the parts were made. And particularly the inflator ----
airbag.jpg

And the metal case of the inflator -----
infaltors-702x395.jpg

Remember, the NHTSA requires these to make / keep you safe?

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's it for Takata. The question posed by the OP is now moot and it might mean another delay for Elio:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/07/toyota-mazda-drop-takata-subaru-mitsubishi/

It's almost a certainty Takata will go teats-up now. I predict a shortage of air bags for at least a year after they fold. Fortunately we have more than a year before Elio has to start sourcing bags in volume. Let's hope the shortage is over by then.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's it for Takata. The question posed by the OP is now moot and it might mean another delay for Elio:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/07/toyota-mazda-drop-takata-subaru-mitsubishi/

It's almost a certainty Takata will go teats-up now. I predict a shortage of air bags for at least a year after they fold. Fortunately we have more than a year before Elio has to start sourcing bags in volume. Let's hope the shortage is over by then.

They will be bought out for pennies have the name changed reemerge years later.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you see they killed another driver in December? Ford Ranger. Shrapnel sliced his neck. Wish Elio would try the inflating seatbelt solution but know they won't.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did you see they killed another driver in December? Ford Ranger. Shrapnel sliced his neck. Wish Elio would try the inflating seatbelt solution but know they won't.

the recall affects 2004 - 2006 Ranger pickups .... one of my wife's brothers owns one .... I find it hard to believe that the airbags they are producing today haven't addressed problems with the ones they messed up on over 10 years ago

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the story ...."The inflator using ammonium nitrate produced by Takata will not be adopted by Toyota,"....
It seems like ammonium nitrate is the problem.
Take a tip from the old commercial.......
Better living through modern chemistry .... Stop using ammonium nitrate.
The other issue is which of Takata's plants were the defective units built at?

Top Bottom