• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Takata Air Bags ....seriously?

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently, multiple notices were sent out for that particular car. I imagine there are a lot of folks out there who are ignoring recall notices on any number of vehicles for any number of reasons. I imagine I'd feel pretty f-ing bad if I ignored a safety recall and then one of my kids died in an accident as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are exactly right, manufacturers are trying to get dealers to get their customers to come in. Many of the customers are not cooperating and it is very difficult. I have a recall on my Honda Ridgeline, I took it to the dealer and the parts are not available just yet so they put me in a rental car at no charge until the parts do come in. The service advisor told me Honda is paying a million dollars a day for rental cars.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio's press release on their new VP of engineering mentioned that he had worked for Takata. I rather wish they had left that little bit of employment out. There wasn't any obligation to put it in, not in the press release at least, so I just consider
It just slightly "off" to have included it. That press release had a couple of additional nits worth picking, but "tactless on Takata" was the worst of them.

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I brought up Takata airbags in the proposed Elio several months ago (do a search). I didn't want them in my Elio. Several forum members felt I was being naive in not wanting them in my Elio. "But they 'save' lives..." was a common reply from some members. I wonder what they think now.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you don't want an airbag hitting you in the face, you could take it out and get yourself a Hövding:
image.jpeg

http://www.hovding.com

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Takata and the auto makers surely have their hands full fixing all the recalled vehicles. But I find it hard to imagine that they haven't fixed the problem in their design for newly manufactured airbag assemblies. The problem has been identified, if they're still building defective designs then it would be gross negligence on their part. Could almost call it premeditated.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would bet Takata airbags have saved a thousand times as many lives... The last fatality...
Sadly the agency also announces the eighth U.S. fatality likely caused by a rupture of a Takata air bag inflator, and the ninth worldwide. Although yet to be confirmed by the manufacturer, the incident involved a model year 2001 vehicle that spent most of it service life in the high absolute humidity (HAH) region and had been under recall for many years. The fatality was the result of a driver air bag rupture, as has been the case for all known fatalities.

In Takata's defense, they tried to prioritize air bag replacements to only High humidity areas which are the only places the issues occur but the U.S. government required them to do full recalls. These full recalls would have happened after they replaced the truly dangerous ones but instead, they've had to spread out limited resources to cover cars that weren't dangerous... Thus, unnecessary deaths. Sure, it would have been nice to have the foresight to know what may or may not become dangerous seven years down the road but who can do that? What happens when air bag companies decide it isn't worth the litigation to keep producing them? Do prices skyrocket?

Who knew phase stabilized ammonium nitrate would become explosive in high humidity anyway? Scientists and engineers are still trying to figure it out. Are we seeing the death of the used car industry or the birth of periodic air bag replacement shops?

Top Bottom