• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Takata Air Bags ....seriously?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last time I checked, this was still the USA. I'll do whatever I want (legally) with my property. You may not agree (THAT'S YOUR RIGHT), but I will never agree to follow your logic. Deal with it AND MOVE ON!
So let me get this right, it's your right to damage yourself without any concern for the rest of us- you get killed and or maimed because of your rights, and we get a raise in our insurance and medical premiums to cover your right to protect your freedom.
How about your right not to have insurance at all? pay taxes? blow by government controlled stop lights? Hummmm seems your rights affect more than yourself and your freedom to choose what and when you conform to the society you are part of

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never been in a wreck where airbags deployed (knocking on wood now). I'd like to hear from those who have. IF you personally have been involved in an auto accident with airbag deployment, do you believe they reduced likely injury to yourself or others? Knowing what you now know about the possible dangers of airbag deployment (metal shrapnel being exploded toward your head/face), do you feel safer with them installed in your vehicle? For those who trust that Takata will do the right thing and recall EVERY airbag which might cause more harm than good, well...you are living in a dream world utopia my friend. I watched every question posed to Hiroshi Shimizu - the Takata executive in charge of QC, by the US Senate Committee, and, frankly, I was not impressed. I worked for the Japanese for 5 years (Subaru Isuzu Automotive in Lafayette, Indiana), and from personal experience, the Japanese NEVER do what they say they will do to correct a problem. I hope Elio will reconsider Takata systems - that is one headache down the road a new manufacturer does not need.
2007 Honda Element. T-boned by a Dodge Ram pickup truck at 50 mph. I never saw him except for a white flash out of the corner of my left eye just before impact. 5 broken ribs, broken pelvis, punctured left lung. 4 days in intensive care, another 3 months in therapy. The doctor said were it not for the side curtain airbag I would have died. 2007 was the first year Honda put side curtain airbags in the Element. Lucky me. I'll take my chances with the Takata airbag over not having an airbag at all. Another tidbit...Paul Elio said in an accident all 3 airbags deploy regardless of impact point. I like that.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2007 Honda Element. T-boned by a Dodge Ram pickup truck at 50 mph. I never saw him except for a white flash out of the corner of my left eye just before impact. 5 broken ribs, broken pelvis, punctured left lung. 4 days in intensive care, another 3 months in therapy. The doctor said were it not for the side curtain airbag I would have died. 2007 was the first year Honda put side curtain airbags in the Element. Lucky me. I'll take my chances with the Takata airbag over not having an airbag at all. Another tidbit...Paul Elio said in an accident all 3 airbags deploy regardless of impact point. I like that.
Were you wearing a seat belt? I always thought air bags were mainly for those people that don't use seat belts.
What are the stats on seat belt alone vs seat belt and air bag vs air bag alone?

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So let me get this right, it's your right to damage yourself without any concern for the rest of us- you get killed and or maimed because of your rights, and we get a raise in our insurance and medical premiums to cover your right to protect your freedom.
How about your right not to have insurance at all? pay taxes? blow by government controlled stop lights? Hummmm seems your rights affect more than yourself and your freedom to choose what and when you conform to the society you are part of
Well, CRAZE, I haven't been in an accident since 1984 - so, yes, it is my right! LIVE WITH IT - and move on.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the Elio You will have to worry about the air bag in front of you. If you'r so inclined. but you won't have to worry about a wind bag next to you.
MK
Funniest post of the day!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh.

My car has a dash indicator light that comes on when a passenger sits on the front seat that says Airbag On!..............I told my wife it should read Airbag In! She continues to have a sense of humor after 46 years of marriage.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... . When asked, professionals said "Get your flu shot." "Will that prevent Ebola?" "No. But it will help prevent the flu which kills thousands more times of people than Ebola."

Oops! Not this year!:confused:

A variety of flu strains can crop up during any given flu season, so vaccines are not inherently “one-shot-fits-all” in terms of protection. The CDC believes this year’s round of flu shots could be relatively ineffective against the types of flu seen so far this flu season, according to The Associated Press.

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
so what happened in '84?? that you are hiding??
Hiding? I was in an accident. I was driving my new '84 T-Bird and was driver-side t-boned at an intersection in rural Indiana by an older woman. No injuries - no airbags. Shoulder/lap belt did their job and I walked away. Now, can we move along to something else?

Top Bottom