• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Terra Craft Motors

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They're really beautiful, fast and expensive. Just don't rear end a semi or the first responders will pick up what's left of your body- minus your head!:D
No different than what would happen in most compacts, subcompacts and many mid-size vehicles out there today.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No different than what would happen in most compacts, subcompacts and many mid-size vehicles out there today.
To include the FUV, SOLOW, and the Elio. The only NARROW 2 seater vehicle that is safer than an SUV is the NASCAR engineered safety cage around the Tango Commuter EV. Arguably the safest car ever built.
D611276E-97C6-478C-8F54-0648184FDA7C.jpeg

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not with that pointy nose almost kissing the pavement- see drawing/diagram. ;)
I'm actually agreeing with you here.

But my point is that most common vehicles would end up with their main body under the trailer.
And the cab would be cut off at the bottom of the pillars, producing the same effect as you describe.
My Dodge caravan included. Measure a trailer and a vehicle of average body height for yourself.

Most trailer bed levels are just above the bottom of my Caravan's windshield.
That little U-shaped barrier that drops down from the trailer doesn't stop much.

Even if a vehicle's main body is slightly higher than the trailer bed level...
There's not enough thin metal in the hood and fender tops to stop the vehicle either.
If you're going to rear-end a semi trailer in anything but a semi tractor, DUCK!

Last edited:

champsman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm actually agreeing with you here.

But my point is that most common vehicles would end up with their main body under the trailer.
And the cab would be cut off at the bottom of the pillars, producing the same effect as you describe.
My Dodge caravan included. Measure a trailer and a vehicle of average body height for yourself.

Most trailer bed levels are just above the bottom of my Caravan's windshield.
That little U-shaped barrier that drops down from the trailer doesn't stop much.

Even if a vehicle's main body is slightly higher than the trailer bed level...
There's not enough thin metal in the hood and fender tops to stop the vehicle either.
If you're going to rear-end a semi trailer in anything but a semi tractor, DUCK!

Now add this to your equation.....99 out of 100 who rear end semis end all the way to the rear wheels of the trailer.... that is 10 feet
past the bumper.....now look at your vehicle and see how far back 10 feet is in your rig.

You cant duck that low..... please drive safe

Top Bottom