• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tesla’s Model 3 Electric Car Gets Requests For 135,000 Vehicles On First Day Of Ordering

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The point being is that for a $7000 car, and a massive campaign all across America (car shows, air shows, etc), this is all they can get for pre-orders?
You cant compare the two without some huge qualifications. You're ignoring the fact that Tesla is already a high profile manufacturer of well-known vehicles. They are producing, essentially, normal cars. A four-wheeled, five passenger car that everyone is familiar with, and can understand. And then you have the added bonus that it's a tree-hugger-friendly electric, too. And, holy crap, it's fronted by Elon Musk, practically a household name, and darling of the media. He comes across as a normal guy, with a quirky sense of humour. His car has a "Ludicrous mode". And he named his cars the Model S, Model 3, and Model X. (Get it? "S3X"? That's freaking awesomely hilarious! He's joked about an upcoming Model Y, too.) Hell, he's personally funding his own space program! The reservation program is marketing gold for Tesla. They don't *need* it. It's just another hype thing. That's why they set the bar for entry so low.

The target market for a Tesla Model 3 is also a more affluent person, who is more likely to have the money laying around to tie up on the reservation of a vehicle that they may not see for another 2+ years.

The Elio, on the other hand, is a three-wheeled ... thing. It only had two seats, and the passenger seat is *behind* the driver? Wtf? And it's powered by a tiny three-cylinder engine. It's being manufactured by a startup that hasn't actually ever built *anything*, and whom no one has ever really heard of before. They publicly admit they don't even currently have funds to build their "autocycle". The front man is a geeky-looking engineer who can't put down that silly Starbucks cup, and starts off every sentence with "So...". (I think Paul is a very smart man, with a great idea (I bought into it!), but I think someone really needs to help spruce up his image a bit.) And you may have to get a motorcycle endorsement to drive it, and wear a helmet! (Until recently, that is, when lots of laws have been changing, but that old, inaccurate info is still floating around.)

The target market for an Elio is really the less affluent person who probably can't afford to put away up to $1000 on the *hope* that some day they might get a, "autocycle" in return.

So, I don't really think your point holds much water. I think the fact that they got 50k+ reservations is awesome, and shows the massive potential this idea has. Once they start rolling off the production line, then you'll see the sales figures. The reservations for Elio v2, if they go the reservation route, will be much greater.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thought the incentives were determined by the total sales (per manufacturer)?
I read a newspaper article that said there is a maximum of 200,000 EV incentives granted per year that covers the combined EV sales from all auto manufacturers, however, I have not fact checked that article.

Last edited:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read a newspaper article that said there is a maximum of 200,000 EV incentives granted per year that covers the combined EV sales from all auto manufacturers, however, I have not fact checked that article.
Fact check a newspaper article? Why would you want to do that? They can't lie in newspapers. If that got started, the next thing would be lying on the internet. Then where would we be?

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They say they will be at 300,000 very soon. I was wondering, how is this even possible? Then I checked how many sales centers they have, it 93 I think. So that's about 3000 per avg. Wonder how long these sales centers have been stiring the pot getting ready for this? Then their customer base is more wealthy than most. So 300k begins to look good, not great, but good.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They say they will be at 300,000 very soon. I was wondering, how is this even possible? Then I checked how many sales centers they have, it 93 I think. So that's about 3000 per avg. Wonder how long these sales centers have been stiring the pot getting ready for this? Then their customer base is more wealthy than most. So 300k begins to look good, not great, but good.
Seems great to me for a week when they planned for and only expected 60,000 reservations. Well over $10 BILLON in pre-sales in the first 36 hours.

Their wealthy customer base bought the Tesla Coupe, Model S, and the Model X which enables Tesla to build the Model 3 for the masses in the income bracket that would normally buy a $35K vehicle.

Last edited:

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is designed to get a person to work and back while achieving 84 mpg hwy. The Elio meets the needs of those trying to stretch their budget when gasoline exceeds $3.00 per gallon. The Elio is practical and functional for those in lower wage earning households and under a combined $80,000.00 household income. Achieving 50,000 reservations in two years is grand with mainly internet communications/marketing. There is no need to compare this grand Elio to that $35,00.00 Tesla that was released. Must be just idle talk time during the wait for our Elio.
I do not need to visit this Tesla discussion topic again. Stay positive my Elio friends. I am proud to be all in on an Elio! :D
I will keep my eye out for more Elio topics/discussions. Stay Positive my Elio Friends :D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is designed to get a person to work and back while achieving 84 mpg hwy. The Elio meets the needs of those trying to stretch their budget when gasoline exceeds $3.00 per gallon. The Elio is practical and functional for those in lower wage earning households and under a combined $80,000.00 household income. Achieving 50,000 reservations in two years is grand with mainly internet communications/marketing. There is no need to compare this grand Elio to that $35,00.00 Tesla that was released. Must be just idle talk time during the wait for our Elio.
I do not need to visit this Tesla discussion topic again. Stay positive my Elio friends. I am proud to be all in on an Elio! :D
I will keep my eye out for more Elio topics/discussions. Stay Positive my Elio Friends :D
Yes, off topic idle talk while we wait.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The point being is that for a $7000 car, and a massive campaign all across America (car shows, air shows, etc), this is all they can get for pre-orders?
The reservation difference is with Tesla's Model 3 $1K fully refundable reservation deposit you are guaranteed a vehicle. With the Elio's $1K non-refundable reservation you get a T-shirt and $500 bonus incentive, but no guarantee that the vehicle will ever be manufactured. The no guarantee forces most people to wait until they see and or test drive a production model Elio. Elio reservations should skyrocket after that group of financially cautious consumers feel it's real. Technically, EM announced earmarking 3-4 E builds for ride and drive events. A few E Builds and or the 100 pre-production Elio's should be tagged for those ride and drives Q4 2016. Imagine the jumpstart flurry of reservations that would cause!

EM's current forward thinking statements still offer no guarantees with little tangible progress since the P5 unveil and the successful crowdfunding campaign. Hopefully, there is a bustle of Elio related activity at Roush.

Top Bottom