• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Texas Show Apr. 22-24: Post Your Questions

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see a convertible option down the road, but I think they'd have to leave the roll cage intact so it wouldn't truly be topless. With that said, I doubt Elio will do it, but the aftermarket might jump on the opportunity.

Anderson Howard

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see a convertible option down the road, but I think they'd have to leave the roll cage intact so it wouldn't truly be topless. With that said, I doubt Elio will do it, but the aftermarket might jump on the opportunity.
When someone is at the next Elio display would You ask the ? about a car cover that would slid on to our Elio's

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe something like a Targa Top or Targa Top and removable rear hatch but I doubt you would see a convertible
Now I have to look up Targa Top.

OK!. After seeing all the types, I think the hard top Targa Top is exactly what I was thinking about. I had a class mate in the mid 70s with a Porsch (Used of course) that had one that made more sense to me than the cloth/vinyl soft tops.
l

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe something like a Targa Top or Targa Top and removable rear hatch but I doubt you would see a convertible

If you look closely at the structure of the Elio I think that it would eliminate the possibility of the Targa or the T Top.
Elio-frame.jpg

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you look closely at the structure of the Elio I think that it would eliminate the possibility of the Targa or the T Top.
View attachment 9076
I suppose that depends on whether you define a convertible by whether you remove the roll cage or not.

I can easily see where simply replacing the fixed roof panels from the windshield to the rear hatchback with removable panels would get me close enough to call it a convertible and leave the safety features in place..

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suppose that depends on whether you define a convertible by whether you remove the roll cage or not.

I can easily see where simply replacing the fixed roof panels from the windshield to the rear hatchback with removable panels would get me close enough to call it a convertible and leave the safety features in place..
At the Shreveport show, Gerome told me they have plans for replacement roof panel for a sun roof/ moon roof option. So why not just leave the panel off.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
At the Shreveport show, Gerome told me they have plans for replacement roof panel for a sun roof/ moon roof option. So why not just leave the panel off.
Good point; you would just need some kind of finish trim to hide the roll cage/frame bars on either side. That's why I mentioned the removable rear hatch; it would give you a look and feel like the Porsche 914 (they did have the option to take out the rear window)

upload_2016-4-11_10-13-29.png

upload_2016-4-11_10-14-36.png

Jim G

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had wondered about a convertible option as well. Would sell very well, IMHO.

Many years ago, I owned a Honda Del Sol that had a removable roof. I have owned several convertibles since then, but always liked the look of the conventional roof panel vs. the traditional convertible fabric look for use during inclement weather.

Top Bottom