• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would get mid fifties in my 1991 GEO Metro on the highway, so I am optimistic that the Elio at half as wide and 700 lb lighter will get the MPG. I would run it at 70 mph which is only about 15 mph below its maximum speed and in Utah we have a number of hills/mountains. Although when they started adding in the ethanol I dropped about 4-6 mpg. I am not a fan of the Ethanol and its lower energy density. I would really like to just use good old regular gasoline and keep the farmers growing food. I know I am bordering on political comment, but gasoline really works good in cars.
You can still by 100% gasoline if you look for it. Usually it's at municipal airports for airplanes that require ethanol-free "automotive fuel".

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's the list I was thinking of! Thanks for re-posting it.
I remembered we had a station a mile away from the house.
Price is a little high, but worth it. $3.899 a gallon.

I just filled the tank with mid-grade last Friday for $1.719 a gallon (60 cent discount on Preferred Customer card credits) :(

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's the list I was thinking of! Thanks for re-posting it.
I remembered we had a station a mile away from the house.
Price is a little high, but worth it. $3.899 a gallon.

I just filled the tank with mid-grade last Friday for $1.719 a gallon (60 cent discount on Preferred Customer card credits) :(

$3.89 is worth it? You only get a few percent more MPGs on pure gasoline than with E10. So maybe if E10 was $3.75 or more, then $3.89 would be worth it.

Around here, regular E10 is about $2.20. My car uses premium, which is about $2.70. I might pay $2.80 if any place around here had premium without ethanol, but only for performance, not for fuel economy.

I personally don't have a problem with growing fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$3.89 is worth it? You only get a few percent more MPGs on pure gasoline than with E10. So maybe if E10 was $3.75 or more, then $3.89 would be worth it.

Around here, regular E10 is about $2.20. My car uses premium, which is about $2.70. I might pay $2.80 if any place around here had premium without ethanol, but only for performance, not for fuel economy.

Around here, 100% gas is only 10-15% higher than Regular. About the same as mid grade gas.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Came across this article from Edmonds.com that did a comparison between gas and E15, they found about a 20 to 25% lower mileage using the E15.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Came across this article from Edmonds.com that did a comparison between gas and E15, they found about a 20 to 25% lower mileage using the E15.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

I didn't read the whole thing, but it looks like they were talking about E85, not E15. Yes, E85 will give you a pretty big drop in mileage. Most cars can't run E85, anyway.

E85 has about 72% of the energy of gasoline per gallon.

E10 has about 98% of the energy of gasoline per gallon.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thing, but it looks like they were talking about E85, not E15. Yes, E85 will give you a pretty big drop in mileage. Most cars can't run E85, anyway.

E85 has about 72% of the energy of gasoline per gallon.

E10 has about 98% of the energy of gasoline per gallon.

At the very beginning of the article, it says "E85 (85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gas)"
Isn't that the same as E15? Or is E15 15% ethanol and 85% gas ?

There are very few gas stations that sell any kind of E type fuel around the PNW.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At the very beginning of the article, it says "E85 (85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gas)"
Isn't that the same as E15? Or is E15 15% ethanol and 85% gas ?

No, E is for ethanol, and the number is he percentage. Most gas is now E10, or 10% ethanol. E85 is 85% ethanol (and 15% gasoline).

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
No, E is for ethanol, and the number is he percentage. Most gas is now E10, or 10% ethanol. E85 is 85% ethanol (and 15% gasoline).
On the pumps around here, they just say "contains ethanol" and they leave it at that.
I can't speak for anything further north than Olympia, it's been 10 years since I was last up in Seattle and places north of there.
That will change with the Elio is sitting in the driveway, I'll take a trip up there just .... just .... just because I feel like it :becky:

Top Bottom