• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it just says "Contains Ethanol", then the amount of ethanol they can put in it depends on local laws. That varies from state to state, but is generally 10% or less, because going higher starts to risk damage to the vehicles. If you're going to call it E15, or E85, or FlexFuel, then there are stronger guidelines as to what it has to be. The one station around me that sells E15 and E85 has additional labeling and hoses for those blends. Apparently the "E85" contains "up to 85%", but they blend it seasonally to different rations, as too high of an ethanol content in cold winters makes it hard to start the engine.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If it just says "Contains Ethanol", then the amount of ethanol they can put in it depends on local laws. That varies from state to state, but is generally 10% or less, because going higher starts to risk damage to the vehicles. If you're going to call it E15, or E85, or FlexFuel, then there are stronger guidelines as to what it has to be. The one station around me that sells E15 and E85 has additional labeling and hoses for those blends. Apparently the "E85" contains "up to 85%", but they blend it seasonally to different rations, as too high of an ethanol content in cold winters makes it hard to start the engine.
Is that because of the moisture it would attract?

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Contains Ethanol" usually means E10 (90% gasoline).

E85 is for "Flex Fuel" vehicles that can run on high percentages (and get lower MPGs).

A lot of manufacturers adopted E85 in trucks and SUVs because it offsets their CAFE fuel efficiency numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And all this ethanol talk has exactly what to do with the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ???
I found where it took the wrong exit:

Off Track sign.jpg

It was right here: http://www.elioowners.com/posts/171896/

Top Bottom