• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Did I specify, or did I just say "And it does have an automatic as an option."

I still waiting to hear the decision on the RV thing.
Vick if you heard something about they were targeting the RV people, I would love a link to the article, or a copy of the post that you got that from.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not only more money, it is not towable and Elio is targeting the rv industry.

from its early days EM did state that one of their potential markets was the RV industry .... as such they said they were designing it to be flat towed behind a motorhome .... potentially that could be a large market because most full time RV'ers are couples .... I haven't heard it discussed recently, nor have I heard any indication that they no longer are designing it to be flat towed

see post 14 & 15 in this thread ===> https://www.elioowners.com/threads/rving-use.5248/page-2

Last edited:

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your answer is #4 in the above post. 5 speed is cheaper. This is the same reason why Elio is not using direct injection, 4 valve and variable cam timing. Even though a 990 cc 3 cylinder gasser with a 4 valve head and variable cam timing is much more efficient than what Elio is using, it just costs more. There are more parts. Elio has told us that things like the hood hinges from the front because they only need one latch as opposed to two like all other cars have. That was to save cost. Same as for the reason for one door as opposed to two.

If Elio gave what everyone wanted, the car would cost $15K. What you do is you set a price and give people what they are willing to put up with and know that you are not trying to screw them over. It's the same business plan that the low cost airlines used. If you ever go to Europe, they have really cheap flights but you know what you are getting into. They took what Southwest did in the US and went further and we now see this in the US with all of the other low cost airlines. Want to bring on a bag and use the overhead compartment, it'll cost you. Want to pick your seat, it'll cost you. If you are looking for basic transportation to get you from point A to B, then you can put up with cheap. Want to have all of the luxuries, then fly a traditional airlines. Just don't complain that you are not getting free peanuts and drinks when you pay $50 for a flight, go spend $300 then.

This is what Elio is doing. Want an automatic, you gotta pay. Want retro wheels, same thing. Honestly, Elio should have made AC an option because there are people that could live without it. Since all of the blue chip suppliers don't make roll up windows and manual locks any more, those items are actually cheaper than if they were the old manual versions. This is one thing that Elio is falling behind on because some other technologies are getting so cheap (i.e. digital instrument cluster) that they will be the norm on 90% of the cars by the time the Elio is out in 2020.

Yes, Elio could make a 150 mpg car for $20K but people can't afford a $20K car today and many need to break out of the poverty cycle with affordable reliable transportation. In the end, everyone will have to put up with what Elio gives you. If you are wealthy then you get all of the options and have fun. Since the Elio is marketed not as a toy, then it needs to not be equipped like one.

But still, I'm surprised they couldn't find a 6 speed that's similar in price to the 5 speed. If they could, it seems like the benefits would outweigh the drawbacks. I'd gladly pay an extra $250-$500 for that. (Would one extra gear really cost even that much extra?)

As far as the rest goes, that'd be nice if someday Elio offered a deluxe premium edition of the car that had all the bells and whistles of the best fuel saving parts possible. If it costs $20,000 then that's fine. That's why it'd be the ultra premium edition. But for 150+ mpg, it'd be worth it for those who could afford it. Something like that may even sell like hotcakes, beyond even the base Elio.

Hopefully this all works out (before gas engines truly become a thing of the past) and Elio makes enough money on his initial cars that he can eventually offer a 10 speed automatic with direct injection, 4 valve and variable cam timing, V-tec, turbo, etc, tuned to get the best possible MPGs, and that way we'll have something that gets 220 freeway / 165 city. :D

And tell me, what part of what freeway is the speed limit posted for 90?
Plus how common is that same speed posted? No where up here.

MPG, not speed. The Elio is already gonna go 107mph, so we're good there.

Sidecar Bob

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"But still, I'm surprised they couldn't find a 6 speed that's similar in price to the 5 speed. If they could, it seems like the benefits would outweigh the drawbacks. I'd gladly pay an extra $250-$500 for that. (Would one extra gear really cost even that much extra?)
Don't forget with the ATM the shift parts may be different and the electronics will be will need to be reprogrammed.

When you get your ELIO you can buy a 6 speed.
I don't want to pay any extra for one.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"As far as the rest goes, that'd be nice if someday Elio offered a deluxe premium edition of the car that had all the bells and whistles of the best fuel saving parts possible."

Years ago I bought every gas saving gadget in the J.C. Whitney catalog and installed them on my car. My gas tank overflowed....

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could it be that the Elio doesn't use a CVT because there isn't enough room for it? ;)
CVT's can be made pretty small especially for small cars. There are a number of Kei cars in japan that use them and they have a similar output of the Elio but the Kei car is about 14" narrower and they put in a CVT 30 years ago in a Justy. I suspect they could put a CVT in an Elio but since a run of the mill 5 speed manual that has 1950's technology in it, would be pretty cheap to install instead.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"As far as the rest goes, that'd be nice if someday Elio offered a deluxe premium edition of the car that had all the bells and whistles of the best fuel saving parts possible."

Years ago I bought every gas saving gadget in the J.C. Whitney catalog and installed them on my car. My gas tank overflowed....
Every time the price of gas goes up, all of those fuel saving devices resurface.

Reactions: Ty
Top Bottom