• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

tenbsmith

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that an AMT (automated manual transmission) will cost more to produce than a standard manual. Therefore, it seems likely that an AMT Elio will cost more than one with a manual tranny. Any time I've shopped for cars, the ones with automatic transmissions always cost more than those with manual.

ccryder

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2011 Fiesta has a 6 speed double clutch automatic transmission which works great and very smooth. It actually gets better mpg than the 5sp manual!

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JT---ever drive a front wheel drive car---they usually have a trans-axel up forward with the engine that handles the gear shifting . Rear wheel drive vehicles usually have a separate transmission between the engine and the differential handeling the gear shifting.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also had a Fiesta with the dry double clutch system automatic and it did get better milage than my neighbor that had same car but manual shift---RB

Alex Bottinelli

Reaction score
was an email received from elio
Did they say if the AMT was going to be single clutch (like the smart fortwo) or dual clutch? If it's going to be single clutch, then I would encourage them to rethink that strategy. One of the biggest complaints of the smart fortwo is its "herky jerky" transmission. If they use that tranny, it WILL be poorly received by the reviewers. A dual clutch would be great, though.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JT---ever drive a front wheel drive car---they usually have a trans-axel up forward with the engine that handles the gear shifting . Rear wheel drive vehicles usually have a separate transmission between the engine and the differential handeling the gear shifting.
The engine does not facilitate shifting in a front wheel drive vehicle with a transaxle. The transaxle does. The transaxle is a combination of the transmission and differential generally in a transverse configuration. In a rear wheel drive car the transmission and differential are separate. Either way the engine simply supplies power to the drivetrain.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Yes, yes, yes, but you stated the engine had a built-in transmission, which is absolutely incorrect. The only things front wheel drive is good for are better traction in snow, and reduced production costs. In every other aspect they're an abomination to the automobile.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I
Yes, yes, yes, but you stated the engine had a built-in transmission, which is absolutely incorrect. The only things front wheel drive is good for are better traction in snow, and reduced production costs. In every other aspect they're an abomination to the automobile.
I agree, but in the case of an Elio it give you more available traction because the bulk of the weight is on the front wheels. If the rear wheel supplied power there would be far less traction and more chance for wheel spin. I read an article about a rear wheel drive autocycle in the UK and they confirmed that.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True for autocycles, which will by nature not handle as well as a FWD car (unless you're talking about some of the autocycles with an articulated chassis), but for ACs in general the FWD will be a big plus.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I stated the trans-axel was ---""up forward with the engine""---not a part of the engine. As indicated it is both differential and transmission ---not separated as on a rear wheel drive. The big picture here is that our ELIO is still waiting on an engine and drive train so mileage estimates are up in the air as no one knows for sure what it will do until the final form and drive system is in place! RB

Top Bottom