• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

mike171

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think a Dual Clutch auto makes a lot of sense for the Elio because it is a very efficient design. It would not suffer the parasitic loses associated with a traditional torque converter auto. It may not be cost effective however since this is somewhat new tech and still expensive to produce. I would not rule out a CVT either. A properly tuned CVT works well and is cheap to produce. Time will tell what Elio decides to use. For now, this is all just speculation.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am going to stick with the manual, then when I get a little wild I can set the parking brake (hopefully it sets the back wheel only) then I can dump the clutch and watch the smoke roll off the tires, I bet with the power to weight ratio this will be easy to do.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am going to stick with the manual, then when I get a little wild I can set the parking brake (hopefully it sets the back wheel only) then I can dump the clutch and watch the smoke roll off the tires, I bet with the power to weight ratio this will be easy to do.
Two tires gripping in the front and not to much horsepower and toque. I'm guessing it just drags the rear end around like an injured animal. If the Vette in your avatar photo is yours I would reserve the tire smoking for that. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two tires gripping in the front and not to much horsepower and toque. I'm guessing it just drags the rear end around like an injured animal. If the Vette in your avatar photo is yours I would reserve the tire smoking for that. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the Vette is mine, it will smoke em and I know that my reflexes are not fast enough when the traction control is off. I hope my Elio doesn't resemble an injured animal.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From what I have read on the Elio website, they are offering automatic and stick. I drove stick most of my life but now, at the tender age of 72, have to settle for automatic to keep my knees from complaining. So automatic and cruise control for this little old lady. I love my Elio!

mumblemouth

Elio Fan
Reaction score
was just in phoenix and spoke with Mr. elio. he stated there were problems with the AMT they were looking at. now looking at 3 other companies to use. no decision has been made on who to use ect as far as AMT. he said they havent even tested an amt in an elio yet. only the other companies production car

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
was just in phoenix and spoke with Mr. elio. he stated there were problems with the AMT they were looking at. now looking at 3 other companies to use. no decision has been made on who to use ect as far as AMT. he said they havent even tested an amt in an elio yet. only the other companies production car
In a sense, I see this as good news. All real projects have complications and setbacks as they go. This seems to show me that they are not just trying to slap this thing together. Of course, it makes me wonder what is the technical problem.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a good thing. it tells me that their actively working toward a high quality product.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From what I have read on the Elio website, they are offering automatic and stick. I drove stick most of my life but now, at the tender age of 72, have to settle for automatic to keep my knees from complaining. So automatic and cruise control for this little old lady. I love my Elio!
Zelio, just think about it, the Elio is going to make you feel 19 again, you may want the manual for a little drag racing and tire smoking.

Top Bottom