• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't driven a car with either of those transmissions.. Has anyone here had any experience with single and dual clutch AMT's that can lend some insight?

Ray
If the AMT has a clutch why bother. The whole purpose of automatic transmission is not to have to use a clutch. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If the AMT has a clutch why bother. The whole purpose of automatic transmission is not to have to use a clutch. :) Z

Based on the conversation this weekend I can confirm that the type of AMT Elio is currently looking at is a normal single clutch manual transmission with an add-on fitted which controls the clutch and gear changes.
Unfortunately for some I can also confirm that the automatic will be extra cost but the price has not yet been determined as they have not completed negotiations.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Based on the conversation this weekend I can confirm that the type of AMT Elio is currently looking at is a normal single clutch manual transmission with an add-on fitted which controls the clutch and gear changes.
Unfortunately for some I can also confirm that the automatic will be extra cost but the price has not yet been determined as they have not completed negotiations.
I am confused here.. Are you saying it's a manual that you have shift but no clutch or a tranny that shifts on its' own with the option to manually shift it? If I would have to shift it I may as well just get a manual trans.. Just sayin'

Ray

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I am confused here.. Are you saying it's a manual that you have shift but no clutch or a tranny that shifts on its' own with the option to manually shift it? If I would have to shift it I may as well just get a manual trans.. Just sayin'

Ray

From the drivers point of view the AMT works just like any other automatic, put it in drive and it does its thing. However in the background it's actually a manual transmission that is controlled by a computer.
What is not clear yet is if the Elio AMT will also have a manual mode allowing the driver to control the transmission manually.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't driven a car with either of those transmissions.. Has anyone here had any experience with single and dual clutch AMT's that can lend some insight?

Ray

I have driven, been trained on, and serviced both. The single clutch systems are much simpler and very efficient though do not take as well to very hard driving as the dual clutch systems. The dual clutch systems are far more complex, more expensive, and heavier. For that you get increased shift speed, a more smooth feeling shift, and a more robust unit. That said all the AMT transmissions I was trained on cost more than an entire elio, so I'm very interested to see just how much more expensive they will be than the manual. I am also much more interested in considering an automatic as an option if it's an AMT transmission as I feel that it is a more robust/servicable design than a traditional automatic or a CVT and it reduces drive-train loss within the drive line.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With more than half the buyers wanting an automatic I would hope they do not put a POS-type automatic tranny in it...especially if it is the option.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have driven, been trained on, and serviced both. The single clutch systems are much simpler and very efficient though do not take as well to very hard driving as the dual clutch systems. The dual clutch systems are far more complex, more expensive, and heavier. For that you get increased shift speed, a more smooth feeling shift, and a more robust unit. That said all the AMT transmissions I was trained on cost more than an entire elio, so I'm very interested to see just how much more expensive they will be than the manual. I am also much more interested in considering an automatic as an option if it's an AMT transmission as I feel that it is a more robust/servicable design than a traditional automatic or a CVT and it reduces drive-train loss within the drive line.
More please!

Top Bottom