• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Quick reality check.
Tax, Title, Registration --- Not Elio's issue. They are government fees.
Delivery charge --- Long ago the government stepped in and forced equalization --- Not Elio's issue.
Automatic Transmission --- I remember estimates of $800 to $1000 ever since I've been buying cars. Early 60s
Now ----
$6800 base price --- Elio is striving for that.
Cruise Control --- Last I heard only if they can make their price point.
Next ---
Can't drive stick 'cause you're too stupid, lazy, uncoordinated to learn? Your problem.
Can't drive stick because of a documented disability? Maybe a government grant if you prove it.
It's not an Obama phone, and the government didn't pay for its development.
And just think...... If people are busy grabbing gears, maybe they won't have time to text and drive ;)

I now return the soap box to our regularly scheduled speakers :D

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think of this as a bait and switch at all. We don't really know anything for sure on what the price will be for an Automatic. I am disappointed in the way the survey was conducted. Human nature would dictate that if given three prices for an option most if not all would pick the lowest price. I would rather they just ask which transmission we will want to order when the time comes. If there is a volume discount for EM when they order them, then that might determine what price to sell the automatic transmission for. Just a thought.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Assuming the original plan was to use the Aisin BC5 manual transmission and the MC5 as the AMT option, this post by Goofyone states the price Toyota was charging in the UK: £500 GBP option which would be about $775 USD. The Elio Automatic Transmission

So I wonder if you are right about the levels not being to maximize profit but to allow different equipment. Say $1,000 for the Aisin single clutch AMT, $1,200 for a traditional torque converter, and $1,500 for a CVT?

BTW, AFAIK the Smart Fortwo never went to a traditional automatic. They stuck with the roboshifting single clutch AMT until the new 2016 which went to either a real manual or a dual clutch automatic. They supposedly changed the shifting logic after 2008 which made the shifts a little better, but I have only driven 2008s that had not been flashed so no idea how much it helped.

I like your term "roboshifting". That is good!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not feeling good at all about the survey I received and completed. My choice was basically, would I pay $1500 for an automatic transmission? Since I was not offered any other choices and since I need an automatic, I was forced to answer yes. Why do I need an auto? Well, about 1-1/2 years ago, I was in an accident on my motorcycle while commuting to work and although it could have been worse, my quad tendon was ruptured. The repair involved stretching the tendon back over my kneecap where several holes were drilled and the tendon was sewed back on. Long story short, I will never have the strength or stability in my left knee that would be required to operate a clutch in Seattle traffic. OK. Enough of my sob story. I am feeling like the victim of a bait and switch here. I have invested $1000 and have my SIL but that was based on a $6800 starting price with a reasonably priced automatic transmission option. Yeah, I seem to recall $600 being mentioned but, I'm getting old and my memory ain't what it used to be. If I could sell my SIL, I would. In a heartbeat.
From a bit of history, I recall, on an individual basis you can sell your 1k all in (with EM's "permission"). The buyer would NOT keep your SIL,rather would move to the end of the (1k all in) line. I recall G1 offering to make such a purchase, don't know the outcome.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even assuming $1,200.00 for the auto tranny add-on, the price comes in at $8K. That's still an extraordinarily reasonable price for a new vehicle. With creative marketing (e.g., the credit card that makes payments based purely on the realized savings in gas consumption costs), the Elio should prove VERY attractive, IMHO, to those looking to upgrade from the "clunker" market as well as those just starting out in the workforce buying their first car. Additionally, and FWIW, I think the majority of Elio purchasers will be families looking to swap out a less reliable/more expensive commuting vehicle for the Elio.

This is just my WAG, but I think the "clunker"/new working person buying first car market will come in at approx. 20-25% of total sales, families looking for a substitute commuting vehicle will come in at 50-60% of total sales, single working persons looking to either decrease their costs or upgrade their ride (or both) will come in at 15-20% of total sales, 5-10% of total sales will go to folks looking to buy a cool, fun weekend or summer vehicle, and a very slim percentage of sales (1-2%) will be to those primarily motivated by ecological concerns.

I would be interested in learning the opinions of others on this subject.... as well as whether ELIO has given any projected forecasts along these lines to date (I am unaware of any). Thanks!
~Well I just assume that all buyers are just like me and all sales are as a secondary vehicle to keep the miles off the primary vehicle. There couldn't possibly be any other market. Could there?~

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you but also find it interesting that it doesn't appear that you have made a deposit. I wonder if you'd feel the same way if you had put a $1000 non-refundable deposit down, like I have? This is a sincere question, by the way, and not an attack in any way :)
Sethodine has explained why to us a few times and it's not because he doesn't want to.
It's the same situation a number of people are in.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sethodine has explained why to us a few times and it's not because he doesn't want to.
It's the same situation a number of people are in.
I have $100 all-in, isn't that enough? :p If we have the cash available, I might be able to up to $1000 just before the close the 50% bonus offer. It makes good financial sense to do so, but we can't risk the $$$ right now until we are POSITIVE that it's going into production.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, like I said, it's just like a manual transmission. With the smart's AMT, you end up letting the rpms drop just slightly as the gears shift to smoothen out the shifting. Same thing happens with a manual transmission in the couple seconds it takes to depress the clutch, shift gears, and release the clutch: the rpms drop slightly before rising again as you press on the accelerator.
How do you know when it's going to shift, or can you 'make' it shift by lifting off the gas pedal?

Top Bottom