• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What do we got here???? A bunch of pajama boys? Anyone here can learn to drive a straight stick. My wife is kicking herself for not learning to drive a straight stick years ago. It's just "funner" to drive a "fun to drive" car as a straight stick.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What do we got here???? A bunch of pajama boys? Anyone here can learn to drive a straight stick. My wife is kicking herself for not learning to drive a straight stick years ago. It's just "funner" to drive a "fun to drive" car as a straight stick.
I agree with you in principle but I have 2 daughters, 2 son in-laws, 4 step sons and one wife that will all want to drive my new Elio and none of them know how to drive a manual. I don't want them learning on my new Elio and it would be difficult to teach them from the back seat. Plus I think it would be easier to sell an automatic Elio when it comes time to order a new Turbo Elio!

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you in principle but I have 2 daughters, 2 son in-laws, 4 step sons and one wife that will all want to drive my new Elio and none of them know how to drive a manual. I don't want them learning on my new Elio and it would be difficult to teach them from the back seat. Plus I think it would be easier to sell an automatic Elio when it comes time to order a new Turbo Elio!
I think you just made the case for manual. Just refuse to teach with your Elio and you get it all to yourself.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You could teach them, if you also want to teach them how to change a clutch in one too.
That's how I learned; Dad taught me how to drive stick in his VW bug; it's also the first car I learned how to change clutch in; the lesson I really learned was not to rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You could teach them, if you also want to teach them how to change a clutch in one too.
That's how I learned; Dad taught me how to drive stick in his VW bug; it's also the first car I learned how to change clutch in; the lesson I really learned was not to rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving.
I would love to teach them all, just not in my Elio. If I could borrow a Honda, Toyota, etc. I would be glad to teach them.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to teach them all, just not in my Elio. If I could borrow a Honda, Toyota, etc. I would be glad to teach them.
Go find and old clunker GM something or other that's front engine, rear wheel drive, stick.
This way when it comes time to change the clutch, it's easier, and probably cheaper.
And if they bang it up a little, ehh too bad, no loss.
If you can drive a stick in one of those, you can drive stick in anything. :thumb:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was more miffed when we heard that now cruise control was going to be an option when they have said all along that is was going to be standard.
PE also mentioned long ago that the automatic would be a $600 option.
Who is coming up with changing the program from the early days? Paul? Or one of his new hires/associates?

I've got some information hunting I have to go and do.
Yeah well...

I figured that they'd want more moola for cruise control from the get-go.

That said... WHY are we even talking $800+ MORE for a transmission that...
The Chinese, Indians and Europeans charge LESS for than a fully manual transmission!

Some overseas cars have the AMT as STANDARD base model equipment...
And they charge more for the fully manual transmission as an add-on / upgrade.
Many of those cars have nothing else in the upgrade "package"... Just the manual tranny!

Damn spiffy it's reason to be miffed.

Over and above the *lgin...
it's reason to give these guys a few funny looks.

I wish you good hunting and hope you come back with a few mounted heads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom