• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm an electron pusher not a mechanical guy so go easy on me. Isn't 80% of the transmission the same in both cases? Can anyone offer commentary as to where the differential cost actually goes? I am trying to understand what the fair market cost differential should actually be. Thanks.

Jim G

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not anti-automatic transmission. I like a stick -- but unless they fix it, the Elio clutch is too stiff for me to drive in heavy traffic or mountains for the next 10 years -- muscle mass deteriorating as I age. So I want an automatic, but not $1400 worth.

that's the personal side of this commentary.

On the more objective side, I am concerned that
1. Most of Elio's proposed market (which ain't us addicts) does not know how to use a stick shift (80% of people under 50, I'm sorry to say).
2. Much of Elio's proposed market (the "clunker market" is unable to afford $10,000 for a car. An automatic -- which they need -- may well put the car out of reach.
3. Overcharging for something this vital to the Elio markets and prior statements about caring for the little guys sits very wrong.

Just ask yourselves regarding charging $1400 for a $600-700 item, "What would Bernie say?" -- and Gentle Moderator, before you get your knickers in a twist, that is not a political statement. I'm using Bernie as a only as an easily recognized symbol of the roiling discontent out there about exploitation of the lower and middle classes by the megabusinesses. He's voicing for the Left what Trump is voicing for the Right. The disgust and contempt and outrage are real, no matter which political side you are on. The level of discontent is a sociological fact more than a political one.

That said, For Elio to act in the face of its professed values and against the popular mood of the day, would be a very very large mistake.

They're entitled to make a profit, but they should not exceed 15-20% over cost on this vital element of the car's success.

Even assuming $1,200.00 for the auto tranny add-on, the price comes in at $8K. That's still an extraordinarily reasonable price for a new vehicle. With creative marketing (e.g., the credit card that makes payments based purely on the realized savings in gas consumption costs), the Elio should prove VERY attractive, IMHO, to those looking to upgrade from the "clunker" market as well as those just starting out in the workforce buying their first car. Additionally, and FWIW, I think the majority of Elio purchasers will be families looking to swap out a less reliable/more expensive commuting vehicle for the Elio.

This is just my WAG, but I think the "clunker"/new working person buying first car market will come in at approx. 20-25% of total sales, families looking for a substitute commuting vehicle will come in at 50-60% of total sales, single working persons looking to either decrease their costs or upgrade their ride (or both) will come in at 15-20% of total sales, 5-10% of total sales will go to folks looking to buy a cool, fun weekend or summer vehicle, and a very slim percentage of sales (1-2%) will be to those primarily motivated by ecological concerns.

I would be interested in learning the opinions of others on this subject.... as well as whether ELIO has given any projected forecasts along these lines to date (I am unaware of any). Thanks!

Jim G

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even assuming $1,200.00 for the auto tranny add-on, the price comes in at $8K. That's still an extraordinarily reasonable price for a new vehicle. With creative marketing (e.g., the credit card that makes payments based purely on the realized savings in gas consumption costs), the Elio should prove VERY attractive, IMHO, to those looking to upgrade from the "clunker" market as well as those just starting out in the workforce buying their first car. Additionally, and FWIW, I think the majority of Elio purchasers will be families looking to swap out a less reliable/more expensive commuting vehicle for the Elio.

This is just my WAG, but I think the "clunker"/new working person buying first car market will come in at approx. 20-25% of total sales, families looking for a substitute commuting vehicle will come in at 50-60% of total sales, single working persons looking to either decrease their costs or upgrade their ride (or both) will come in at 15-20% of total sales, 5-10% of total sales will go to folks looking to buy a cool, fun weekend or summer vehicle, and a very slim percentage of sales (1-2%) will be to those primarily motivated by ecological concerns.

I would be interested in learning the opinions of others on this subject.... as well as whether ELIO has given any projected forecasts along these lines to date (I am unaware of any). Thanks!

P.S. I am strictly a stick guy myself.....

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Those sound like pretty good guesses to me. However,, the car is now estimated to sell for $7200 base (maybe $6800 to current place-in-line folks or even all all-in reservationists). But there are delivery charges and taxes -- conservatively figure $700 - 800 combined. Could be a thousand. So you're already at $8,000 before adding on any options like automatic trannies. It'll be $10K before you can say "Skyzmatic!"

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
P.S. I am strictly a stick guy myself.....
I used to be until age brought out how much I abused it getting to this point; I just went through surgery on my foot because I had destroyed the joint in my big toe from years of squatting down, my knees pop and click because I've put excessive wear and tear on them; and the list goes on; it's not a matter if I want a stick or not; I just physically can't handle driving a stick; and if I did, it would not be enjoyable.

EKH, you're good :becky:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not feeling good at all about the survey I received and completed. My choice was basically, would I pay $1500 for an automatic transmission? Since I was not offered any other choices and since I need an automatic, I was forced to answer yes. Why do I need an auto? Well, about 1-1/2 years ago, I was in an accident on my motorcycle while commuting to work and although it could have been worse, my quad tendon was ruptured. The repair involved stretching the tendon back over my kneecap where several holes were drilled and the tendon was sewed back on. Long story short, I will never have the strength or stability in my left knee that would be required to operate a clutch in Seattle traffic. OK. Enough of my sob story. I am feeling like the victim of a bait and switch here. I have invested $1000 and have my SIL but that was based on a $6800 starting price with a reasonably priced automatic transmission option. Yeah, I seem to recall $600 being mentioned but, I'm getting old and my memory ain't what it used to be. If I could sell my SIL, I would. In a heartbeat.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't think AT will really be a $1500 option. By far the largest reaction has been "What? No way!", quite aside from everything they have said before. I was banking on it being a $1000 option myself.

Last edited:

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We don't know the reason for this survey. Maybe they're thinking about offering a third transmission option (traditional, CVT or dual clutch AMT) or AISIN came in with higher than anticipated cost for the single clutch AMT ... only EM knows. It's possible we'll find out when the configurator opens tomorrow. I'm going to refrain from questioning Paul's integrity over this survey at least until then.

Top Bottom