• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Right when they did the first engine dyno test; it was more of a side note mention in the newsletter discussing the engine development.
This was 2 years ago (2014). Before when all they were discussing was the engine, there were a number of press releases and news letters that covered nothing but engine development.

OK. They did the dyno test in March of 2015 and there was some discussion about the stepped cam not being activated on the initial dyno run. But I never saw it in one of the news letters. That was mostly idle speculation.

From the March 16 press release:
...."To provide its customers with high fuel efficiency and still provide the performance consistent with today’s passenger vehicles, the Elio Motors engine must operate efficiently at two different loads – lower loads representative of highway cruising, and more demanding loads associated with the fast starts of city driving."....

And in the videos section they are still showing the multi mode cam setup (VVA)

The Elio Engine Part 1
---> https://www.eliomotors.com/the-elio-engine-part-1/ <---
The Elio Engine Part 2
---> https://www.eliomotors.com/the-elio-engine-part-2/ <---
(explains the two-step valve lift system (VVA) which uses switching tappets)
(It also calls it potential but never heard more)
The Elio Engine Part 3
---> https://www.eliomotors.com/the-elio-engine-part-3/ <---
The Elio Engine Part 4
---> https://www.eliomotors.com/tech-talk-elio-engine-part-4/ <---

So I still don't know if VVA is a go or nogo.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK IC, yes I do remember not using the dual cam in the dyno test. That was about peak power. As I remember that still inferred this was just for the test.

Obviously I over-read the statements above.

So OK, to be clear, the dual cam is still being used in the final product and maybe is in the P5 or not? If not I can see why the P5 hasn't been used for the MPG test.
This could answer why there has not been a final MPG test yet.
So I imagine/hope the first E series with the dual cam could be tagged for the test. We MUST ask when the first Elio with the cam is, and when will it do that test for mileage.

On the edge of our seats, waiting as usual.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK IC, yes I do remember not using the dual cam in the dyno test. That was about peak power. As I remember that still inferred this was just for the test.

Obviously I over-read the statements above.

So OK, to be clear, the dual cam is still being used in the final product and maybe is in the P5 or not? If not I can see why the P5 hasn't been used for the MPG test.
This could answer why there has not been a final MPG test yet.
So I imagine/hope the first E series with the dual cam could be tagged for the test. We MUST ask when the first Elio with the cam is, and when will it do that test for mileage.

On the edge of our seats, waiting as usual.
It is in the p5

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A few things about turbocharging...

First, many turbocharged engines have a lower compression ratio than their normally aspirated brethren. For instance, the normally aspirated Fiat 500 1.4L engine has a 10.8:1 ratio, while the 500 Abarth turbo model has a 9.8:1 ratio.

As far as power gains, the example above gives approximately a 60% increase in horsepower -- 105 and 160, respectively.

In Europe, they offer a model with a more aggressive tune that is closer to 200 horsepower, so nearly a 100% increase in horsepower.

For those who still think that turbocharged engines are unreliable, I can only say that your thinking is behind the times. There are many run-of-the-mill cars on the road with turbos that are boosting 20+ PSI (unlike the 5-6 PSI we used to see decades ago).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
A few things about turbocharging...

First, many turbocharged engines have a lower compression ratio than their normally aspirated brethren. For instance, the normally aspirated Fiat 500 1.4L engine has a 10.8:1 ratio, while the 500 Abarth turbo model has a 9.8:1 ratio.

As far as power gains, the example above gives approximately a 60% increase in horsepower -- 105 and 160, respectively.

In Europe, they offer a model with a more aggressive tune that is closer to 200 horsepower, so nearly a 100% increase in horsepower.

For those who still think that turbocharged engines are unreliable, I can only say that your thinking is behind the times. There are many run-of-the-mill cars on the road with turbos that are boosting 20+ PSI (unlike the 5-6 PSI we used to see decades ago).
I think one of the biggest problems with Turbos from decades ago was oiling.
More of the factory turbos failed because of cheap bearings and being lazy about oil checking / changing (at least the ones I had to deal with, those were the main fail points). These poorly designed and built turbos would just burn themselves out and seize; bang, $1,200 paperweight.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if simply changing the head on the Elio would be enough to lower it's compression ratio for a turbo. The redneck in me thinks just putting on a thicker head gasket (metal, of course) could do the trick... feed it more gas when the turbo spools up and voila! Instant fun!

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if simply changing the head on the Elio would be enough to lower it's compression ratio for a turbo. The redneck in me thinks just putting on a thicker head gasket (metal, of course) could do the trick... feed it more gas when the turbo spools up and voila! Instant fun!
I think the usual solution would be different pistons. You'd want oil-cooled pistons, anyway... Not sure if the Elio engine has them in stock format.

Another thing is turbo cooling. The turbo on my Abarth is cooled by engine coolant. There is a pump that keeps circulating coolant to the turbo for a few minutes after you shut the engine off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom