• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK. I'll play.
How about fixed mount (non-mobile) units?
How about a backup generator?
Or maybe a pump engine on a Type 4 Forestry Engine?
How about in a power boat? Use two of them set up to counter-rotate the props? I imagine much, MUCH lighter than current powerboat engines. Not sure what would need to be done to make them suitable for freshwater use (i.e., rivers and lakes), much less prep them for salt-water use, but it's an idea.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Throttle cable;
SImple, effective, and low cost.
I also have a 2007 Honda Fit that has the drive by wire system , and I do not like the feel of it.

"KISS"...................KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.
WIllie

Amen.

A throttle cable is better than Drive-By-Wire. My wifes '08 Camry uses Drive-By-Wire. It feels odd whenever I drive it. And I have this fear that the servo malfunctions and gets stuck in the full-throttle position. :eek:

I've instructed my wife what to do if/when this happens. SHUT OFF THE DANG ENGINE!

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Careful! Most cars lock the steering wheel when the ignition is turned off.

Ive heard some people suggest that shutting down the engine will cause the brakes to be inoperative, and you should instead just shift to neutral in a W.O.T. [wide open throttle] situation. But this is wrong for 2 reasons;

The brakes dont become inoperative. Not even in cars equipped with power-brakes. The brakes will still function - it just requires more foot pressure to stop the car.

In a W.O.T. situation, shifting to neutral will cause the engine to redline in a hurry, and cause severe engine damage if not catastrophic engine failure.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A bad engine is better than a dead wife.....well, for most people.

The steering can lock. If you turn the key back one click. Best thing is to put in neutral, turn the engine off, then immediately turning the key forward to unlock the steering.

All cars will be able to stop once or twice with power brakes....as long as the reserve is in good working order. Usually is.

If the reserve is used up, you just have manual brakes. Some people aren't use to that. There is also the E-brake.

In terms of WOT, most cars should hit their rev limiter. I think you would be surprised how long a modern engine can operate at WOT with the limiter.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with most. I prefer cable throttle and a cable clutch.
Not me. I've had cables stretch, bind up, and break. I've never had a problem with an electronic throttle. Either way, it wouldn't be a difference in whether I buy the Elio or not... But I think an electronic throttle is the better way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amen.

A throttle cable is better than Drive-By-Wire. My wifes '08 Camry uses Drive-By-Wire. It feels odd whenever I drive it. And I have this fear that the servo malfunctions and gets stuck in the full-throttle position. :eek:

I've instructed my wife what to do if/when this happens. SHUT OFF THE DANG ENGINE!
The only time I had a throttle stick was a mechanical system. Even thought that particular engine didn't have a throttle plate (diesel), a throttle plate can stick whether it is mechanical or electronic. In fact, there are more failure points on a mechanical system than an electronic one.

If the throttle on the Camry feels odd, it's probably just the very disconnected feeling of some cars (and Toyota is notorious for this). I have driven drive-by-wire sports cars that feel every bit as connected as a cable or rod linkage.

I also like that the pedal can be remapped for a sportier response when desired. My Abarth does that when you press the Sport button. It also adds about 20 horsepower, tightens up the steering, and changes the shifting for a sportier drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
A bad engine is better than a dead wife.....well, for most people.

The steering can lock. If you turn the key back one click. Best thing is to put in neutral, turn the engine off, then immediately turning the key forward to unlock the steering.

All cars will be able to stop once or twice with power brakes....as long as the reserve is in good working order. Usually is.

If the reserve is used up, you just have manual brakes. Some people aren't use to that. There is also the E-brake.

In terms of WOT, most cars should hit their rev limiter. I think you would be surprised how long a modern engine can operate at WOT with the limiter.
You left out manual steering in cars with power steering, it's hard, but you can still steer with the engine off.
That won't be a problem in the Elio since it doesn't have power steering.

and W. Willie is correct, it is 2 clicks; it's been a standard since 2000.
If you turn an WOT runaway off, then back on, it will start the engine again. It would have to be off for a while (like till it stops spinning).

Top Bottom