• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the usual solution would be different pistons. You'd want oil-cooled pistons, anyway... Not sure if the Elio engine has them in stock format.

Another thing is turbo cooling. The turbo on my Abarth is cooled by engine coolant. There is a pump that keeps circulating coolant to the turbo for a few minutes after you shut the engine off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are turbo setups that use thermal siphoning to keep the coolant moving after the car is shut down without running the pump, I believe the Subaru WRX does this. The system has to be designed for it with the turbo sitting lower than the coolant reservoir that it flows into.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You seem to be all about limitations where as Elio is about possibilities.
You appear to be about why it can't be done where as Elio is all about working to get it done.
Somehow I don't think you are the one I would share forward looking plans with.
There is a place for both optimists and pessimists in development. They keep each other in check. You just need someone to keep them in the loop without ceding common sense.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not needed after dyno testing.

I took the time to ask Elio.
I will provide my question and Elios answer.
Hope this is informative.
--------
Elio.jpe

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Jul 27, 08:14 EDT

Hello William,
Thanks for reaching out!
Variable valve lift is still being implemented in our engine design.
Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Thanks,
Elio Team
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6a4ed64896a?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2F2016%2Fdefault-avatar-80.png

Elio Website Contact Form

Jul 22, 11:34 EDT

First name: William
In your Oct 22, 2014 blog you spoke about the two-step valve lift system (VVA) which uses switching tappets. It was referred to as a potential technology and described in some detail. From your Mar 2015 press release you said ...."To provide its customers with high fuel efficiency and still provide the performance consistent with today’s passenger vehicles, the Elio Motors engine must operate efficiently at two different loads – lower loads representative of highway cruising, and more demanding loads associated with the fast starts of city driving.".... In view of these and the fact that it was stated that there was some trouble reaching the 84 MPG goal, I was wondering if VVA was actually implemented. This also came up in a discussion on "elioowners". If possible, could you clarify whether this technology has or has not been implemented? Thank you for considering this question.

]
This email is a service from Elio Motors. Delivered by Zendesk.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I took the time to ask Elio.
I will provide my question and Elios answer.
Hope this is informative.
--------
Elio.jpe

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Jul 27, 08:14 EDT

Hello William,
Thanks for reaching out!
Variable valve lift is still being implemented in our engine design.
Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Thanks,
Elio Team
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6a4ed64896a?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2F2016%2Fdefault-avatar-80.png

Elio Website Contact Form

Jul 22, 11:34 EDT

First name: William
In your Oct 22, 2014 blog you spoke about the two-step valve lift system (VVA) which uses switching tappets. It was referred to as a potential technology and described in some detail. From your Mar 2015 press release you said ...."To provide its customers with high fuel efficiency and still provide the performance consistent with today’s passenger vehicles, the Elio Motors engine must operate efficiently at two different loads – lower loads representative of highway cruising, and more demanding loads associated with the fast starts of city driving.".... In view of these and the fact that it was stated that there was some trouble reaching the 84 MPG goal, I was wondering if VVA was actually implemented. This also came up in a discussion on "elioowners". If possible, could you clarify whether this technology has or has not been implemented? Thank you for considering this question.

]
This email is a service from Elio Motors. Delivered by Zendesk.

Does "being implemented in our engine design" mean that the final engine design is not complete? I thought the engine design was a done deal.

Ray O

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The one to one HP to cu.in. was achieved by dodge 273 cu. in. 275 hp in 1967 many Corvettes have done even better without flue injection and no electronic ignition. 900 cc'c id 55 cu. in. I believe is is very possible. VW had about 38 to 42 hp and drove fine on modern high ways. VW were more than 1250 lbs.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We shot beer cans full of cement, back when they had rims. Had to run 'em through a sizing die and grease them before they'd go down the barrel, but by golly that gun won competitions all over New England. Amazing accuracy.

Did you use lard or tallow (pig fat or beef fat) to grease them? I'm assuming you were shooting for (pun intended) some type of historical accuracy.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or how about a replica Renault FT-17? :p The original only had a 35hp engine, so 55 horses should be plenty for a lighter-weight replica (as in, lighter than the original 7 tons)
FT-17-argonne-1918.gif
Wow. I'd love to put that up against the idiot down the street with his tricked-out hummer... :cool:

I mean ... No, that would be wrong. Very, very wrong. Firing that little cannon in the front would get you fined for violating noise ordinances, even if it were justified.

Top Bottom