• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have read that also. Several people are reporting that the tour folks are now telling visitors who ask that the engine is now machined and assembled. I have not been able to confirm this yet from EM, or anyone I already know to be trustworthy, however that does not mean it is not true also. Hopefully we will find out more soon.

I'm sure they will not say anything official until they have a good break-in period, dyno test, and maybe a life cycle test of the engine.
IMHO, as a manufacturer, you don't have a engine until you have a reliable process making a reliable engine.

(but it nice to hear about it being assembled, maybe)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure they will not say anything official until they have a good break-in period, dyno test, and maybe a life cycle test of the engine.
IMHO, as a manufacturer, you don't have a engine until you have a reliable process making a reliable engine.

(but it nice to hear about it being assembled, maybe)

I agree and know EM has generally been cautious and waits until things are further along before making official statements. This does however generally fit the timeline as I know it so I will try and see if I can get an 'off the record' comment or a report from a trusted non EM source.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know how engine manufacturers operate but I expect they will run an engine wide-open throttle 24 hours a day until it breaks, see what failed and improve it. Well, that's how I would do it.:)

I'd think that much would depend on how quickly they can get another .... if one is now built, others shouldn't be too far behind

Jim

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they have a dozen or so they may smoke check one of them but if they only have one or two I'm sure they'll be treated like gold. Probably no more than idle to part power check for all pressures and temps, vibration, fuel and air flow, EGT, HP and torque to cruise. Nothing fancy until a number of sample engines are available. Would not want to be the Dyno tech trying to explain how he blew up the one and only Elio engine.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If they have a dozen or so they may smoke check one of them but if they only have one or two I'm sure they'll be treated like gold. Probably no more than idle to part power check for all pressures and temps, vibration, fuel and air flow, EGT, HP and torque to cruise. Nothing fancy until a number of sample engines are available. Would not want to be the Dyno tech trying to explain how he blew up the one and only Elio engine.
This is exactly the issue as while we have good indications of more than one set of castings we don't actually know exactly how many engines they have going together right now.

Either way, over the next year the engines will be thoroughly tested both in the lab and in the preproduction vehicles. I am sure some issues will be found and revisions will be needed however, as this engine is so simple, I hope and doubt the issues will be anything major.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many years ago an engeering manager pitched me the keys to a mule with a 2.1 liter spraybore engine in it. He knew I liked to "play with stuff" but was busy when he gave me the keys. When I got back and we were talking he said he was glad I hadn't pushed it too hard as the other 2 had broken the cranks. I went pale and asked what the remaining mule was worth..... 500,000$ was his estimate! I almost passed out because I had PUSHED IT and it ran like a scalded dog :) Some stories about the EV1 and a preproduction Z06 Too.

Top Bottom