• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the assumption that the 81MPG figure is from the P4 powertrain is in error.The P4, I believe, has a hydro based automatic in it and a tired triple. He said "if we launch now" ,think that means the current level of development on the IAV with manual tranny and Elio areo and mass yield 81MPG.Within 5% of target 1 year out is pretty dog gone good!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the assumption that the 81MPG figure is from the P4 powertrain is in error.The P4, I believe, has a hydro based automatic in it and a tired triple. He said "if we launch now" ,think that means the current level of development on the IAV with manual tranny and Elio areo and mass yield 81MPG.Within 5% of target 1 year out is pretty dog gone good!

This is the way I understand it also. These are just what they are projecting right now and they still have a year to fine tune the details. Personally I have more confidence on them turning 81 MPG into 84 MPG than the the price moving down from $7300 to $6800. However, depending on how things play out and what EM decides to do, in my opinion they are both still possible.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Terrance,
Thanks for the research! I have no worries that the production Elio will get
the sought after 84 mpg. It may take a combination of tweaks to get there.
Remember the current 81 mpg (P4) is without the IAV motor, which, fr.the
get go, has been modeled/designed to achieve 84 mpg or better...............
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPGW-gBTTthamAQUFyo7GmvFPhBxYgkAMmRP__OMP5iL1m5Uni.jpg
I disagree with your reply Kuda. Paul's statement was not referencing the current P4. I am competent in Paul Elio statement about now being at 81 mpg. I am competent this is the IAV motor. At this time EM is so busy and under do not comment mode that you are not going to yet get it spelled out anymore. He released that blip in a Silas Sunday interview (Aug 2014) and that is all to be leaked out. I know in my mind that motor is together and being tested. Yet to release that to media or public at this time is not their option. On this topic Kuda I will then bid you farewell and wish you many happy miles with driving your Elio in 2015:) ElIO <> 84mpg
Terrence :)

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the way I understand it also. These are just what they are projecting right now and they still have a year to fine tune the details. Personally I have more confidence on them turning 81 MPG into 84 MPG than the the price moving down from $7300 to $6800. However, depending on how things play out and what EM decides to do, in my opinion they are both still possible.

Thank you goofyone, well stated! I was just composing my reply to Kuda and posted it. Now posted I return and spot your reply, which is well done. As a matter of fact, I peeked my reply to Kuda is the next after yours. I replied professionally to Kuda.
Terrence :)

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I think this line of reasoning (T,G,RK) is more accurate.................
I based my statement on talking to Jerome back in May.
That is when he said they were @ 81-82 in the P4. I still
hold to IAV's mandate is 84 or better. So Paul is saying they
(IAV) are @ 81 now with a year to go, shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I think this line of reasoning (T,G,RK) is more accurate.................
I based my statement on talking to Jerome back in May.
That is when he said they were @ 81-82 in the P4. I still
hold to IAV's mandate is 84 or better. So Paul is saying they
(IAV) are @ 81 now with a year to go, shouldn't be a problem.

I agree as I am sure there is still plenty IAV can do to tweak that engine once they have it actually running on the test bench and in the pre-production models. While the chassis is pretty much set I am also sure some minor aerodynamic tweaks to the body panels will continue to be evaluated and EM always has the option of including an undertray to smooth out the underside.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree as I am sure there is still plenty IAV can do to tweak that engine once they have it actually running on the test bench and in the pre-production models. While the chassis is pretty much set I am also sure some minor aerodynamic tweaks to the body panels will continue to be evaluated and EM always has the option of including an undertray to smooth out the underside.

Wheaters please jump in but I remember Colin Chapman
drilling holes in the early Lotus frames, brake disks, wherever
he could to lower weight, to the point where drivers (?) didn't
want to drive for him, due to safety concerns...............I don't
see that happening with the Elio (winning races isn't a concern)
but weight & aerodynamics are surely on their mind............. :)

Top Bottom