• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The drive by wire for throttle control has been arround long enough to have become somewhat of a norm. Also helps with the "packaging" and assembly work. Now , steering by wire is a big " not gonna happen" for me. There are some (or lots) out there but I am not that trusting to give up direct control and road feel to the stupid CCM !

CaribbeanZombie

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm curious about testing the production engines!?! I know nothing about the process, but everyone seems on the edge of their seat for the results of the prototype engine. I know, I'm one of those people too! However, every single part of the prototype engine is a "hand made" piece & was hand assembled. This is the engine being tested...
The actual production engine is going to be mass produced parts, put together by machine.
So, my question is, when they roll that first production engine off the line, will they dyno test that engine as well, or just assume it's gonna work as good as the prototype because the computer said it would?
Maybe this is a nill issue, due to factors that I'm not aware of, but it seems logical to me that a hand-crafted, hand built prototype engine & a mass produced, machine built engine may not be EXACTLY, 100% identical & therefore, a production engine should also be dyno tested. If this is the case, do we wait another 6 months while they dyno the production engine? Or is dyno testing a production engine not necessary? If not, what would be the reasoning for not testing a production engine?
Ignorant & Curious! ;)

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious about testing the production engines!?! I know nothing about the process, but everyone seems on the edge of their seat for the results of the prototype engine. I know, I'm one of those people too! However, every single part of the prototype engine is a "hand made" piece & was hand assembled. This is the engine being tested...
The actual production engine is going to be mass produced parts, put together by machine.
So, my question is, when they roll that first production engine off the line, will they dyno test that engine as well, or just assume it's gonna work as good as the prototype because the computer said it would?
Maybe this is a nill issue, due to factors that I'm not aware of, but it seems logical to me that a hand-crafted, hand built prototype engine & a mass produced, machine built engine may not be EXACTLY, 100% identical & therefore, a production engine should also be dyno tested. If this is the case, do we wait another 6 months while they dyno the production engine? Or is dyno testing a production engine not necessary? If not, what would be the reasoning for not testing a production engine?
Ignorant & Curious! ;)

First, I'm not an engineer or a gearhead! The prototype of the engine, which is being tested, they are looking at performance numbers ( horsepower, torque etc.). The production engines they would not need to test for these things, so testing should be shorter? They have said and I do not quote, that vehicles will be built for crash testing, perhaps the engines in these will be production type? I have lots more questions than answers but don't we all.....

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IAV has lots more work to do before the engines we will be driving around come off the assembly line. Just like the hand built prototypes that are making the rounds on the "show" circuit now they are proof of concept items that are the first step down a long road.

Testing for EPA fuel mileage numbers and crash tests will require production line examples of the vehicle. There is still a lot of work to be done to get there.

Top Bottom