• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

CaribbeanZombie

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Quick note on the dyno testing:
My folks were down at the Richmond event on Saturday (12/20) and my dad was told they were still air testing the engine (running it with air rather than fuel).
We knew that would be a part of the testing procedure, but I was interested to hear that it was still in the air phase a month after testing was reportedly scheduled to start.

I changed my mind...I don't want an Elio with an ICE, I want one that runs on air...that sounds much cheaper! LOL :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Quick note on the dyno testing:
My folks were down at the Richmond event on Saturday (12/20) and my dad was told they were still air testing the engine (running it with air rather than fuel).
We knew that would be a part of the testing procedure, but I was interested to hear that it was still in the air phase a month after testing was reportedly scheduled to start.
The pressurized phase was after the turning phase. They had to mic every tolerance so that after pressure testing it, the measurements would have some kind of value. This way, they can apply a lot of pressure and see how it affects the diffferent measurements. The hope is that the measurements are within standards and then they can move to fueled testing. That will then start producing results with
There ARE compressed air engines out there.
True.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The pressurized phase was after the turning phase. They had to mic every tolerance so that after pressure testing it, the measurements would have some kind of value. This way, they can apply a lot of pressure and see how it affects the diffferent measurements. The hope is that the measurements are within standards and then they can move to fueled testing. That will then start producing results with
That makes sense

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe Tata motors in India is experimenting with a compressed air powered commuter car.

I like the technology, but I also understand the limits.
The power density is much lower than even lead acid batteries and pales in comparison to gasoline.
It will also use 30-50% more electricity (to compress the air) than a comparable EV.
A compressed air vehicle would work in an area with VERY cheap electricity and a limited access to batteries and or materials.

Top Bottom