• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The H. O. Engine We Need For The Elio And Its A Ford...

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drive an eight cylinder F150 for my company and in order to get some sense of what 0 to 60 in just over 9 sec feels like, gunned it...upshot,0 60 in 9+is more than adaquit.
Hey, on a related subject. It has been years since I drove a stick. Is it still an "H"patern?

In our dreams......................:D

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know it's not the cheep way to go but speed is never cheep. I can pretty much promise any one who pushes the stock engine to 75HP will have something that could hand grenade at any moment.

I'm not sure why you believe that. The elio is supposed to be able to reach 100 mph and at 75 mph that leaves a full 25% spare capacity from full throttle.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you believe that. The elio is supposed to be able to reach 100 mph and at 75 mph that leaves a full 25% spare capacity from full throttle.
Whaaaaaaa??? I don't see where you're going here as it doesn't even fit into the conversation. EM says the engine will be capable of a max 60HP although it will be detuned to 55HP or less. Given there will be few if any aftermarket Hi Pro parts for this engine anyone who mods it to produce 75HP will have something highly unstable.

I hope it won't break your heart if your Elio won't hit 100MPH. That number was thrown out before they said they were short of the 84MPG goal. They have stated the 84 takes priority therefore it's likely to not quite be 55HP

Not to mention that a manufacturer can produce engines that are 10% off the claimed HP. Production engines rarely live up to their advertizing.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We have about a month to find out what the IAV motor can really do with a 5sp stick. All the rest is speculation on the computers. If Elio Motors begins to sell in volume, plenty of after market performance parts will be available in less than maybe 6 months. Just adding 10-15 hp to a 1250lb vehicle is good, more and you have to upgrade the suspension and brakes, etc.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We have about a month to find out what the IAV motor can really do with a 5sp stick. All the rest is speculation on the computers. If Elio Motors begins to sell in volume, plenty of after market performance parts will be available in less than maybe 6 months. Just adding 10-15 hp to a 1250lb vehicle is good, more and you have to upgrade the suspension and brakes, etc.
1)If you can't take a 2nd hand EM employee said, everything here is speculation except the fact that Paul Elio want to produce an auto cycle which may or may not be built.

2)Market drives new products. At Elio's most optimistic estimates (which is speculation see #1) there won't be enough produced to cause a 6th month aftermarket. Especially after market rods and bearings and other parts needed to beef up the engine. The market forecast for this kind of product looks even less likely to pop up soon when figuring in that less than 1 in 10 will be willing to void the 3 year warranty by adding said parts.

3)Adding 10-15 HP would certainly be a kick in the pants. That was never the point. Adding 10-15 HP to a low HP engine that came in a <$7K car is going to make for an unreliable engine. Which was the original point.

Frosty

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I sincerely hope Elio Motors has the good sense to add a disclaimer to the sales contract (to be specifically acknowledged by the purchaser) that they are not responsible for the consequences, damages, injuries or deaths caused by irresponsible adrenaline junkies losing control of their modified Elios. Injured party lawsuits could sink Elio Motors before it could accumulate enough capital to defend itself adaquately.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sincerely hope Elio Motors has the good sense to add a disclaimer to the sales contract (to be specifically acknowledged by the purchaser) that they are not responsible for the consequences, damages, injuries or deaths caused by irresponsible adrenaline junkies losing control of their modified Elios. Injured party lawsuits could sink Elio Motors before it could accumulate enough capital to defend itself adaquately.
Did the Comoros, Shelby's and Vets back in the late 60's early 70' come with one?
I think the Shelby had a cam that came in box setting on the back seat and not in the motor, but as far as disclaimer's, don't remember any. Not saying there wasn't.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No body not even the big dogs back a vehicle that's been modified OUTSIDE of the manufactures control. You could go get Harley Davidson Hi Pro parts installed by a HD tech and they'd back it. They wouldn't stand for anyone else's parts though.

Top Bottom