• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The H. O. Engine We Need For The Elio And Its A Ford...

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I need to know is how much will I have to soup up my Elio in able to be able to pop the clutch while facing downhill sitting in reverse to do a rearward wheelie? The back end will already be pretty light...
I've been wondering how long it would take before some putz puts a wing on the back of his/her Elio....

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been wondering how long it would take before some putz puts a wing on the back of his/her Elio....
I am thinking a fake hood scoop, 22" rims, and a lot of Japanese vinyl lettering..

Actually I did want to get tinted windows, since it's a "motorcycle" does that mean I can go past 30% tint?

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Every practical solution is but a set of compromises. I'll take the Elio as is with a straight shift. I think I read the Ford engine is not made for the American market yet either, also. What bugs me the most is that the real driving solutions depend upon an educated market to buy the right stuff to compete and thus drive prices down. I wake up in a cold sweat every night, thinking how well this has worked in politics. LOL

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Every practical solution is but a set of compromises. I'll take the Elio as is with a straight shift. I think I read the Ford engine is not made for the American market yet either, also. What bugs me the most is that the real driving solutions depend upon an educated market to buy the right stuff to compete and thus drive prices down. I wake up in a cold sweat every night, thinking how well this has worked in politics. LOL

LOL, YIKES! One of the advantages of the MC classification, A lot less regulation / politics. I am sure tho, that not everyone wants to see this (the Elio) happen.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doing a hypothetical: Let's say the the typical cost of an engine is 10% of the base price. Given a fiesta base of 17K the 3 cyl ecoboost
would be @ $1,700. The Elio/IAV 3 cyl would be @ $680 p/unit. So Ty plug in real #s & see what we really have? But back to the guess.
The ecoboost is 2.5 times more expensive has about 2.5 times the HP & over 2.5 times the TQ. So $ for dollar there is a relationship here.
There will be,No doubt, lots of ELio conversions forthcoming but the base model is still a lot of bang for the buck.................. :)
I think your ratio of 10% engine, 90% body may not apply to the Elio. One moving window, one door, no rear window, very basic rear seat, off-the-shelf "kit" stuff where possible -- all of these will sharply reduce the cost of non-engine-related components. So you might allow 15 or maybe even 25% for what's going under the hood.

I've never been convinced that the 68-84 bogie can be met. But at 7500 the car would still be a steal, so let's hope Paul Elio makes a slew of very good decisions -- very soon.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For an expert of your caliber you should at least know that there are two operable windows. If you can't get the most basic details correct why should anyone believe anything you post. Details and facts, not speculation and innuendo. Given time you will learn.:)
Thank you for your valuable time.:rolleyes:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: I think your ratio of 10% engine, 90% body may not apply to the Elio. One moving window, one door, no rear window, very basic rear seat, off-the-shelf "kit" stuff where possible -- all of these will sharply reduce the cost of non-engine-related components.

Quite likely, though Elio's numbers have evolved along with their business plan, both of which have benefited from lasting this long as others have fallen by the wayside. The calculated decision to build the engine in house ticks many of their core boxes & will save them money in the long run as well as having more control over their own destiny. My faith gets stronger with each progressive step they take.................. #2951. :)

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For an expert of your caliber you should at least know that there are two operable windows. If you can't get the most basic details correct why should anyone believe anything you post. Details and facts, not speculation and innuendo. Given time you will learn.:)
Thank you for your valuable time.:rolleyes:
One operable window would help control costs. Nothing is likely to improve your manners.

Top Bottom