• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This might be a tangent, BUT... lately, whenever I check the "HUD for the Elio" thread, the banner ad at the top is for "FLIR", as in Forward Looking InfraRed. The kind of thing gunship pilots use to target hostiles on the ground. The link drops you on a page advertising,
Get a FREE Copy of "12 Things to Know Before Buying an Infrared Camera"

Just think: link your FLIR to your HUD and you get something that lets you see terrorists in the dark and find critters that think they can actually make it across the freeway before you arrive. Either way, it's dinner on the run.

Remember: you kill it. you eat it.

Wow, that post went in a direction I was NOT EXPECTING.

Daryl M

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the pictures and the prose, it really looks like Elio's HUD is the iScout.
Continental's "Combiner" HUD looks similar but different enough to possibly exclude it.

Continental_HUD.jpg

Whatever... I have time to wait for more definitive information from Elio.

OTOH: Are we all members of E-Nation?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Using all lanes right up to the merge zone is the fastest and safest for all drivers involved. It's called the "zipper merge". You might think you are doing the right thing by moving into the open lane a mile in advance, but all you are really doing is clogging up the highway more.

When all cars fill both lanes right up to the cones, then each lets the other through one-at-a-time, things work real smooth :) In some places, it's even the law!
The problem with that logic, though I know that would work in an ideal world, is that if everyone merges earlier, there is time for someone to screw up merging and still fit in while traffic is moving along. If that same idiot zooms past everyone and tries to merge at the last second but can't, he has to come to a stop before hitting cones. Now, that idiot is trying to merge at zero MPH which requires everyone to now stop to let him in. Rather than him getting over 1/4 mile before the cones at 45 MPH, he's doing it at zero.

For some interesting reading, check out "Traffic waves". It shows how one person inadvertently slowing a lane down can cause a ripple back that causes traffic to eventually stop for no reason.

http://trafficwaves.org/

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem with that logic, though I know that would work in an ideal world, is that if everyone merges earlier, there is time for someone to screw up merging and still fit in while traffic is moving along. If that same idiot zooms past everyone and tries to merge at the last second but can't, he has to come to a stop before hitting cones. Now, that idiot is trying to merge at zero MPH which requires everyone to now stop to let him in. Rather than him getting over 1/4 mile before the cones at 45 MPH, he's doing it at zero.

For some interesting reading, check out "Traffic waves". It shows how one person inadvertently slowing a lane down can cause a ripple back that causes traffic to eventually stop for no reason.

http://trafficwaves.org/

But that is the entire purpose of the Zipper Merge. The people in the "through" lane must slow down for the person in the merge lane, so that the person in the merge lane doesn't need to stop at the cones. When done properly, nobody is stopping, and the zipper merge can speed up traffic by up to 15% and reduce the backup by up to 50%. This means less traffic backing up onto onramps and arterials as well.

The zipper merge isn't just a theory, it is a common practice in Europe (even the law, in some places) and it works almost flawlessly. All it takes is people in the through-lane giving up the notion that they have the right-of-way. Both lanes have equal right-of-way, and each lane takes turn merging with each-other like the teeth of a zipper.

More state DOTs here are adopting this method as the ideal, and we are starting to see sign changes that say "Merge Zone Ahead" instead of "Left Lane Ends Ahead". But until the public is educated on how to perform a zipper merge, it will continue to not work. :(

TMOSteel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The HUD was one of the highlights of yesterdays "Yes, More Elio Accessories" email and having seen it in a little more detail I'm digging this much more than the Skyz option. Integration with my phone plus displaying directions (and possibly other information) up front where I need it? Brilliant.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But that is the entire purpose of the Zipper Merge. The people in the "through" lane must slow down for the person in the merge lane, so that the person in the merge lane doesn't need to stop at the cones. When done properly, nobody is stopping, and the zipper merge can speed up traffic by up to 15% and reduce the backup by up to 50%. This means less traffic backing up onto onramps and arterials as well.

The zipper merge isn't just a theory, it is a common practice in Europe (even the law, in some places) and it works almost flawlessly. All it takes is people in the through-lane giving up the notion that they have the right-of-way. Both lanes have equal right-of-way, and each lane takes turn merging with each-other like the teeth of a zipper.

More state DOTs here are adopting this method as the ideal, and we are starting to see sign changes that say "Merge Zone Ahead" instead of "Left Lane Ends Ahead". But until the public is educated on how to perform a zipper merge, it will continue to not work. :(

Apparently you are driving on different freeways than I am...........I can say I NEVER see it being done "properly" by 100% of the drivers !!!

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Assume most of us with All-In reservation numbers are selecting options - for real - for our new Elio's in mid-to-late 2017. <bear with me> That would label our Elio's as part of the automotive 2018 model year. If that holds, I believe we could have much more advanced HUD options coming our way besides the iScout combiner HUD that recently completed a Kickstarter fundraising campaign to try and get production started.

There are two big developments in the HUD industry that are about to hit the market. The next great thing is augmented reality (think Pokemon Go technology incorporated into an automotive HUD). Less visible but just as revolutionary is replacing LCD/LED with digital light processing (DLP) projection:

"Texas Instrument Inc.’s TI DLP chipsets, used for years in cinema and home theater applications, are being incorporated into some HUD systems in development. DLP, which stands for digital light processing, is a kind of projection system that contains millions of tiny mirrors capable of producing clear images across a windshield regardless of whether it’s sunny, cloudy or nighttime."

Continental, one of Elio's supply partners, has been on the cutting edge of AR HUD's featuring DLP since at least 2014 (publicly). They've hinted at making their products available as early as the 2018 model year, but more likely after 2020. But those sorts of public statements likely hinge upon the multi-year design lifecycle of a major manufacturer's vehicle platform update. It could theoretically be ready for debut on an Elio platform much sooner than that.

They feature nifty services like lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise control feedback, and futuristic navigation displays.

HUD resources:

http://www.spadetechs.com
Creator of the iScout, which by all accounts, appears to be the universal-fit combiner HUD listed on the Elio configurator

http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=58298
Solid read on augmented reality HUDs

http://continental-head-up-display.com
Continental

http://www.visteon.com/products/head-up-displays.html
Visteon

https://wayray.com/navion#wtf
WayRay Navion

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I've seen the zipper merge work fine "Take Gap, Give Gap" and I will always let someone in who is using a turn signal to indicate their intention. The problem at the construction zone I go through every day is that there is a stop light before and after it that have always been there (they are rebuilding a bridge and have shuttled East bound traffic to one of the West bound lanes). The stops force traffic to stop. Sometimes, everyone is in the right lane and when the light changes, everyone just speeds up and we get about 20 cars through the lights. Sometimes, there are a couple of people who drove right up to the cones before even trying to get over. When the light turns green, because we have to slow to a stop to let the guy(s) over, we end up only getting about 6 cars through the lights. In a non-stopping hazard, I agree.... zipper in but just don't wait till you have to slow down to put on your signal and get over. It isn't fair to make everyone slow down just because you didn't look ahead and begin your merge at highway speed.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've seen the zipper merge work fine "Take Gap, Give Gap" and I will always let someone in who is using a turn signal to indicate their intention. The problem at the construction zone I go through every day is that there is a stop light before and after it that have always been there (they are rebuilding a bridge and have shuttled East bound traffic to one of the West bound lanes). The stops force traffic to stop. Sometimes, everyone is in the right lane and when the light changes, everyone just speeds up and we get about 20 cars through the lights. Sometimes, there are a couple of people who drove right up to the cones before even trying to get over. When the light turns green, because we have to slow to a stop to let the guy(s) over, we end up only getting about 6 cars through the lights. In a non-stopping hazard, I agree.... zipper in but just don't wait till you have to slow down to put on your signal and get over. It isn't fair to make everyone slow down just because you didn't look ahead and begin your merge at highway speed.

When I used to drive AT&T vehicles we were required to take Smith System training.
Basically......
Aim High in Steering .....
Keep Your Eyes Moving ...
Get The Big Picture ...​
The way I see it is that too many people are looking at the road right off the front of their hood.
Either that or at their electronic gadget to give them directions.
Or texting!!!
As a result, they have no idea what is happening four or five cars ahead and are not ready to take any action.

Top Bottom