• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The hood badge saying "Elio" is green. I would make it an available option in other colors, like neutral silver and black.

Green would not look good on any of my colors.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The hood badge saying "Elio" is green. I would make it an available option in other colors, like neutral silver and black.

Green would not look good on any of my colors.
No can do. The green is PART of the logo, and I can tell you when the copyright was filed on that logo they specified which Pantone green they used. Just like you can't have the Mitsubishi logo with yellow diamond, the Elio logo needs green.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stepping back for a moment and thinking about the American convention for naming car models, it seems to be either:
1) A place (Tahoe, Tacoma, Seville, Bel Air, Outback, etc)
2) A verb or adverb (Escalade*, Intrepid, Escape, Fit, Sable, etc)
3) A noun associated action (Crossfire, Explorer, Excursion, Zephyr, Fiesta, Mustang, Ram, etc.)

So in that vein, here are some ideas that Elio could go with:
- Economy
- Starter
- Commuter
- Trifecta
- Shreveport

I particularly like the alliteration of "Elio Economy", not to mention the beautiful triple-entendre it has. First, it sounds like a car name. Secondly, it refers to Elio's unique path to funding their car, and the unique way people will pay for it. Third, it refers to the fact that it is an economy car.

"Elio Starter" is good too. It is the first model from a start-up company, it is an ideal "starter" car for somebody, it marks the start of an amazing new automotive journey, and (hopefully) it will start every time you turn the key!

"Elio Commuter" describes what it is best at, plain and simple.

"Elio Trifecta" refers to the three-wheel design, but also to Paul Elio's Trifecta of design (Cheap, High MPG, Safe)

"Elio Shreveport" for the place of it's manufacturer. I know that it not how place-name cars are usually done, but the Elio is a car made in America for everyday Americans, and so a down-to-Earth place name fits it better than something loftier.

My $0.02

*Technically, "Escalade" refers specifically to a ladder used for climbing walls. The verb would be "Escalate", but the marketing geniuses decided that the soft "d" sound would be more attractive.
Elio Economy makes it sound cheap... like not good cheap
Elio Starter makes it sound no good like a starter wife or starter home... to be cast aside when something better comes along
Elio Shreveport... doesn't play well.
Elio Commuter? Well, they call that place you put fire the Fireplace so that makes sense but I don't like it... a commuter car is seen as a cheap, beat up dog of a car... well, that's what I think of.
Elio Trifecta is better... sort of like the Elio Trident but that's been done in gum.

That's my $.02. Good spread of ideas though. I agree that it should follow the norm somewhat... I just hope they don't give it a number. Cars used to have great names... Mustang, Thunderbird, Corvette, Pinto (kidding)... Now, You get some letters and numbers... "I'll take an Elio E09 T3."

James W. H.

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Gauges and dials. I would like to see black gauges with white pointers that take on a look resemblance to aircraft dials and gauges. When you sit in the Elio with it's in line seating, like an aircraft and you get the feeling that you are in a cockpit, I would just like to see aircraft like dials and gauges.

ImOnabus

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gauges and dials. I would like to see black gauges with white pointers that take on a look resemblance to aircraft dials and gauges. When you sit in the Elio with it's in line seating, like an aircraft and you get the feeling that you are in a cockpit, I would just like to see aircraft like dials and gauges.

I agree, however the Elio will be produced (for at least the first year) with the Elgin dash. I intend to add Autometer or S-W gauge clusters and sending units to monitor what I consider critical operating parameters. If after some familiarization, the Elgin proves to be inadequate, a good quality traditional analog tachometer will be added as well.
Warning lights just don't cut it. However, this is a $6800 vehicle. And I have managed for years using my legs as a temperature gauge on my motorcycles.:hippie:

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No can do. The green is PART of the logo, and I can tell you when the copyright was filed on that logo they specified which Pantone green they used. Just like you can't have the Mitsubishi logo with yellow diamond, the Elio logo needs green.
Manufacturers almost always have variant logos for use in different situations, which commonly include placement in relation to background color. All these details are contained in brand usage guideline documents. I could easily see Elio having a solid chrome version, a solid black version, or a chrome-on-black version for use on different colored vehicles.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Manufacturers almost always have variant logos for use in different situations, which commonly include placement in relation to background color. All these details are contained in brand usage guideline documents. I could easily see Elio having a solid chrome version, a solid black version, or a chrome-on-black version for use on different colored vehicles.
Indeed. They use the white-on-black on the steering wheel and in the EM website.
image.png

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Economy makes it sound cheap... like not good cheap
Elio Starter makes it sound no good like a starter wife or starter home... to be cast aside when something better comes along
Elio Shreveport... doesn't play well.
Elio Commuter? Well, they call that place you put fire the Fireplace so that makes sense but I don't like it... a commuter car is seen as a cheap, beat up dog of a car... well, that's what I think of.
Elio Trifecta is better... sort of like the Elio Trident but that's been done in gum.

That's my $.02. Good spread of ideas though. I agree that it should follow the norm somewhat... I just hope they don't give it a number. Cars used to have great names... Mustang, Thunderbird, Corvette, Pinto (kidding)... Now, You get some letters and numbers... "I'll take an Elio E09 T3."

Elio Scorpion.. At least it is an improvement over Crawfish or Mudbug. And it fits the car profile as well as the crawfish. It would look outstanding in silver.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio Stinger!

The downside is that if the critics don't like its performance, they will deride it as the "Elio Stinker." Oh, those automotive critics are so clever!:confused:

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Warning lights just don't cut it. However, this is a $6800 vehicle. And I have managed for years using my legs as a temperature gauge on my motorcycles.:hippie:
I'm glad I took the time to go back and carefully re-read that paragraph. The first time through I thought you were saying for years you used your legs as a speedometer. As in, stick your leg out and see how it drags on the pavement.

Top Bottom