• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK. Looking at the left picture with engine on hoist, it looks like the firewall and instruments are in. Also looks like the windshield is in place (see the reflections?)
Looking at the lower right hand picture with engine in, the firewall and other stuff don't appear to be in place.
My guess is that the pictures are not necessarily in time sequence.
So this is what you were talking about at dinner. Enjoyed meeting you and your posts will now have more meaning. Look forward to seeing you in the future.

genebee

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the purpose of the HB on there?

Every time the cylinders fire, torque is imparted to the crankshaft. The crankshaft deflects under this torque, which sets up vibrations when the torque is released. At certain engine speeds the torques imparted by the cylinders are in sync with the vibrations in the crankshaft, which results in a phenomenon called resonance. This resonance causes stress beyond what the crankshaft can withstand, resulting in crankshaft failure.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
What's the purpose of the HB on there?

I'll throw in my two cents, I just googled harmonic balancer, and Wikipedia says it also helps the crank shaft from failing.

"At certain engine speeds the torques imparted by the cylinders are in sync with the vibrations in the crankshaft, which results in a phenomenon called resonance. This resonance causes stress beyond what the crankshaft can withstand, resulting in crankshaft failure. To prevent this vibration, a harmonic balancer is attached to the front part of the crankshaft."

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Every time you touch something cost go up. If you have to remove a part to install another that causes even more cost. If the goal is to keep cost down, ELIO is going to touch it as little as they can at the plant or so called marshaling centers .
This is one of the reason sometimes, what seems to be a simple option can cost a lot. We see that in motorcycles a lot labor cost some time to add a simple mod maybe high because of how much has to be removed to do it.
On the other hand some jobs like a exhaust swap is often done for free because it is a simple fast bolt on and the cost of new pipes already have the mark up figured in. Last time I had a set done at dealer it took 10 minutes.
Seat swap in an ELIO maybe some thing simple to do. If they know marshaling center is going to change it , may even ship with out one.
Inventory cost money, shipping parts back and forth does also.

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Latest P5 pics.....:clap2:
P5-d.jpg
P5-e.jpg
P5-f.jpg
P5-g.jpg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That narrow cockpit cabin is going to fit the driver like an ironman suit.

I prefer the monochromatic look of the color matched body and wheel covers even in the unprimed unpainted P5 photos.

Top Bottom