• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Could that just be the tires to move the P5 around while being assembled and not the official production tire? Looks awful small from that camera angle.:noidea:

agree .... but, keeping in mind EM is going for 84 or better MPG, the lessened rolling resistance from a narrow tire makes sense .... I suspect that they will install the smallest/lightest tire that their manufacture (Cooper) certifies will handle the speed and weight specs given to them by EM

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It depends on what the rim is. If it's bolted "on center", then wider won't offset. If you put an offset rim on the rear in place of a center line rim, then yes, it will be offset.

I don't think you understand the point I was making. The way it is designed there is a finite distance between the side of the rear tire and the swing arm. You need to maintain some clearance. The inside of the swing arm is the controlling factor unless you plan to have a asymmetric layout between the front and rear tires.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am waiting to see that new brushed metal Elgin dash! It will be an interesting detail, along with many others, that most future owners will appreciate.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or what looks like the tail pipe running along the lower right side of the body?
I assumed the body covered the exhaust pipe. But it looks like the exhaust pipe is covered by a piece, separate from the body. I hope there is no trouble with heat build up (I live in the desert).

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
agree .... but, keeping in mind EM is going for 84 or better MPG, the lessened rolling resistance from a narrow tire makes sense .... I suspect that they will install the smallest/lightest tire that their manufacture (Cooper) certifies will handle the speed and weight specs given to them by EM

I second that. Keeping in mind the light weight of the Elio it will still handle very well. For a bit of perspective, compare those tires with what is used on the Morgan.
th?id=OIP.M03f62b02d793e399f8b9dfd68cf6c960H0&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=182&h=111.jpg

And it handles very well.

Top Bottom