• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

They Said The 'p(5)' Word

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would think once the jigs, molds, and castings were set up, it wouldn't take long to make more. The hardest part is getting the first one set up. It's like cutting lumber. Cutting that first 2X4 takes several minutes of getting the saw positioned, protective eyewear and hearing on, setting the stop up, etc. The second 2X4 takes just a second or two. Same with number 3 and 4 and so on. Hopefully, Elio will make the parts for more than just the one (or at least the jigs are kept till needed again)

agree .... getting more transmissions shouldn't be an issue but building individual motors could be very expensive

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
agree .... getting more transmissions shouldn't be an issue but building individual motors could be very expensive
Individual engines would be a bit expensive but once the mold is made (they may even use the existing one and are tweaking the cam and crank), casting more shouldn't be too bad. machining an engine won't be that bad especially if the machinist can set up to do 30 in a row.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A single P5 build is the next logical step in the process to production, followed by multiple P5 engineering builds for testing, and finally the production prototype. I hope EM has the option for a second contract extension without fines. Interested in seeing the P5 in all it's glory! I'm betting it will include the Elgin Dash.

As I recall, Tesla had 26 P & E builds prior to the first production Tesla delivered to Elon Musk's driveway. It truly is a production process (no shortcuts) to insure all is good to go. This avoids future problems which could be devasting to a new startup vehicle manufacturer. The first 42,000 Elio's need to be as close to having as little potential recall as possible with customer satisfaction guaranteed. Musk on the Tesla Model X delay, "It will go when it's good and ready." I think we all want the Elio to go when it's good and ready too!

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Individual engines would be a bit expensive but once the mold is made (they may even use the existing one and are tweaking the cam and crank), casting more shouldn't be too bad. machining an engine won't be that bad especially if the machinist can set up to do 30 in a row.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Since it says they are building the P5-P30, I wonder if they will all be hand-built or will they try to start tooling the factory and use these as test models for the factory?
Maybe a split of both; first few by hand; towards the middle start tooling.

I had never heard of a Multi Mode Manual so I looked it up.
It's almost a Slap Shift automatic as we know it.
Here's the definition of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimode_manual_transmission

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since it says they are building the P5-P30, I wonder if they will all be hand-built or will they try to start tooling the factory and use these as test models for the factory?

I do find it encouraging that this will done at the actual plant by Comau, IF I read that right. Unless they meant the eventual vehicle and not these 25.

Elio and its manufacturing partner Comau (wholly owned by FCA) will build the vehicle at a world-class manufacturing facility in Shreveport, La., where General Motors previously built the Hummer H3 and Chevy Colorado.

Which means to me, yes a bit of Manufacturing R&D will be accomplished with each Px car. So that also says to me each Px may not be exactly alike while also built more or less serially one at a time. Seeing how long this process draws out may lend itself to estimating the actual start date of production.

You know too, there's nothing externally stopping them from doing a pilot run of bench built Elio's right after the 25 Px's are built. That has been suggested any number of times by members of this forum.

If it were me calling the shots, I would have auctioned off a first pilot run of 25-1000 for anything I could get and would have planned/announced that from the beginning. Maybe they could still do that, but giving some kind of handicap advantage to the all-in depositors.(their 1k all in worth 3x at 3k?) Or if better PR wise, also still sell every third one to the 'all-in' at the promised price until the pilot run auction is exhausted.

I estimate the profit margin could be between 2 and 6 million on the first 100 vehicles. And 500k to 3million on the next 100. Total wild-ass guess, of course.

Another way is, give the first reservationists an option, buy it or put up for auction and get 30% of the profit (as purchase discount) above bench built cost, plus keep their reservation but moved to the end of the line for that segment. Or even some mash-up of these ideas, even changing the details for each lot of 25 depending on how things go. It's possible that the first 25 or so could see enough value in auction to get their Elio's for free.

But I think outside the box more than I should sometimes.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I remember hearing a long time ago that they were going to do a batch of cars before the build to spread around the country for the All In people to take out and test drive so they could actually do a "Touchy Feely and Drive" before they chose their options.
I wonder if this is the plan (besides gearing up for build) with this group of Elio's? :)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hold on Neal.
It doesn't say that they're "building" anything but the P5 at this time.

The only time the other 25 protos were mentioned in that release was this:
"The P5 is the first in a series of 26 prototypes, codenamed P5 through P30 that will be developed for a variety of testing and validation purposes."

And even "building" is a loaded term at this exact moment.
I quote: "As we look to better refine the vehicle design and add to our fuel efficiency, the critical thinking delivered by our supplier team is what has enabled us to get where we are today."

It says "As we look" and not "As we've looked". Maybe a typo, maybe not.
Apparently they weren't looking past tents (Keep up will ya?) :D

I'm very happy to settle on the term "developing".
Remember, the release says, "The P5 is the first... that will be developed."

And Rick, I did like your post, but you blew it by saying the "E" word. o_O

I'm just not into wild speculation.
I don't want to overanalyze and tear this thing to shreds.
They've done a fine job of communicating their breakthrough status and short term goals.
It is what it is, and I'm fine with that. S'nuff for me.

It is, indeed, all worthy of 42,000+ happy dances.
graphics-snoopy-656322.gif

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hold on Neal.
It doesn't say that they're "building" anything but the P5 at this time.

The only time the other 25 protos were mentioned in that release was this:
"The P5 is the first in a series of 26 prototypes, codenamed P5 through P30 that will be developed for a variety of testing and validation purposes."

And even "building" is a loaded term at this exact moment.
I quote: "As we look to better refine the vehicle design and add to our fuel efficiency, the critical thinking delivered by our supplier team is what has enabled us to get where we are today."

I'm very happy to settle on the term "developing".
Remember, the release says, "The P5 is the first... that will be developed."

And Rick, I did like your post, but you blew it by saying the "E" word. o_O

I'm just not into wild speculation.
I don't want to overanalyze and tear this thing to shreds.
They've done a fine job of communicating their breakthrough status and short term goals.
It is what it is, and I'm fine with that. S'nuff for me.

It, indeed, is all worthy of 42,000+ happy dances.
It's good news and enough for me too at this point. It is best to not over analyze or speculate as it will turn into negativity and this latest news release is very positve news indeed!

Top Bottom