• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

They Said The 'p(5)' Word

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Which means to me, yes a bit of Manufacturing R&D will be accomplished with each Px car. So that also says to me each Px may not be exactly alike while also built more or less serially one at a time. Seeing how long this process draws out may lend itself to estimating the actual start date of production..

agree .... I tend to believe that there will be lessons to learn from the P5 that will need to be incorporated into the P6 .... same with lessons learned with the P6 being incorporated into the P7 .... as some point they will settle on the build and then the line will be setup to produce them

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
agree .... I tend to believe that there will be lessons to learn from the P5 that will need to be incorporated into the P6 .... same with lessons learned with the P6 being incorporated into the P7 .... as some point they will settle on the build and then the line will be setup to produce them
True... there wouldn't be much point in crash testing more than one if you weren't going to make changes anyway. However, it could also be true that they finalize the Elio before crash testing and use the testing solely as a marketing thing. If they design it correctly, it'll pass the test and as they've said recently, the modeling software is so accurate that there is hardly a difference in real world testing. So, the multiple P's could be used for different kinds of testing... frontal, side impact, rear impact, rollover, fuel mileage, Noise Vibration Harshness, suspension, exhaust sound, windshield wiper effectiveness, air conditioning, heating, dynamic braking, snow, wet, sand, mud, etc... having a bunch of P's would let you test multiple systems at the same time. Anyway, the P-5 will be red. (I think I've guessed that often enough now)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have no doubt that they have run many, many computer simulations that will be used to build the P5 .... from what I've been told, the current generation of computer software is extremely reliable .... hopefully that will prove to be the case with the P5

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the engine is my biggest doubt. I'm happy I won;t be on the bleeding edge.

Anybody know the history of H-D's V-90 engine? wasn't that designed from scratch?

creekstone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's good news and enough for me too at this point. It is best to not over analyze or speculate as it will turn into negativity and this latest news release is very positve news indeed!

Amen. The speculation about P6 thru P30 is taking away from the more immediate accomplishment.

Elio Motors needs one thing more than anything else right now. FUNDING. The P5 is about funding. P5 has to validate "Must Have #1: Amazing MPG". If it does, our chances for the DOE ATVM loan are bolstered. If it doesn't achieve "amazing mpg", Houston, we have a problem.

EM is taking a great leap of faith with the P5. We should be cheering on it's construction (and intent) instead of speculating what comes next.

I'll go back to my hole now. I only popped out because of the importance of the P5 announcement.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Red would be nice to see. But typically for high speed image recording issues, they make crash test vehicles white. They put markers and things on them that must standout in contrast.
But really, we're all guessing one of the 25 will go on tour. (after rebuilding? or as is?)

In my opinion, I would doubt they will crash test the first P5. Licorice with cream cicle flames would be my choice.

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think (my chance at wild speculation) The P5 will go on tour (almost) immediately. And by scheduling test drives by the press, (and investors) they can get some (hopefully) positive publicity. Along with some accurate MPG, acceleration, handling & comfort "facts/impressions", I think reservation numbers will shoot up drastically. I tend to feel like (EM feels like) this "could be" close to final design, but still want to be flexible in their outlook. If the P5 falls short in Mpg's or handling or......They will make further improvements. :) :cool:

Top Bottom