• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

They Said The 'p(5)' Word

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think (my chance at wild speculation) The P5 will go on tour (almost) immediately. And by scheduling test drives by the press, (and investors) they can get some (hopefully) positive publicity. Along with some accurate MPG, acceleration, handling & comfort "facts/impressions", I think reservation numbers will shoot up drastically. I tend to feel like (EM feels like) this "could be" close to final design, but still want to be flexible in their outlook. If the P5 falls short in Mpg's or handling or......They will make further improvements. :) :cool:
They're going to have to build one engine per car, minimum. The current engine is SUPPOSED to be run to failure when gradually starved of oil. That could have been completed by now, (I'm guessing) but we haven't heard boo about engine testing since the thing first started and ran successfully. What's up with that? Enquiring minds would love to know.

If I were king of the world, and the only engine had not, for some reason, been run to destruction, I'd be awfully tempted to build the P5 and stick the sucker in there (along with the correct tranny) and get some real-world numbers ASAP. One way to settle the doubters, about performance and mpg, at least.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
agree .... I tend to believe that there will be lessons to learn from the P5 that will need to be incorporated into the P6 .... same with lessons learned with the P6 being incorporated into the P7 .... as some point they will settle on the build and then the line will be setup to produce them
I'm going to differ with you. They were pretty close with the P4, and the main engineering decisions (roof height, crush zone dimensions, etc) have all been made. So there really isn't much point in a lot of one-off iterations. One P5, test it, clone it or make teeny-tiny tweaks, and that's it. That's the least expensive way to go, and probably the best -- hammering out those details is most likely what the suppliers were doing this past weekend, so that all the parts come together and work together in a safe, cost-effective manner.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to differ with you. They were pretty close with the P4, and the main engineering decisions (roof height, crush zone dimensions, etc) have all been made. So there really isn't much point in a lot of one-off iterations. One P5, test it, clone it or make teeny-tiny tweaks, and that's it. That's the least expensive way to go, and probably the best -- hammering out those details is most likely what the suppliers were doing this past weekend, so that all the parts come together and work together in a safe, cost-effective manner.

one would certainly hope that the design of the P5 proves to be perfect and needs no tweaking .... only time will tell

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My apologies for ruining your day, but I am curious to see the Elio vision complete before I cast final judgement.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...I am curious to see the Elio vision complete before I cast final judgement.
I'm curious as to whether my vision will be good enough to finally see a completed Elio before judgement day too!
graphics-snoopy-656322.gif
eyechart.jpg

Last edited:

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amen. The speculation about P6 thru P30 is taking away from the more immediate accomplishment.

Elio Motors needs one thing more than anything else right now. FUNDING. The P5 is about funding. P5 has to validate "Must Have #1: Amazing MPG". If it does, our chances for the DOE ATVM loan are bolstered. If it doesn't achieve "amazing mpg", Houston, we have a problem.

EM is taking a great leap of faith with the P5. We should be cheering on it's construction (and intent) instead of speculating what comes next.

I'll go back to my hole now. I only popped out because of the importance of the P5 announcement.
You are quite right. The funding from the accredited investors ($30 million is the goal) will be used primarily for the construction of the P5 - P30 prototypes, and their testing. A careful reading of the announcement would indicate that he has raised sufficient money to date to fund the P5. This is worthy of being announced, which is exactly what EM did. The goal of raising all $30 million is still to be achieved.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They're going to have to build one engine per car, minimum. The current engine is SUPPOSED to be run to failure when gradually starved of oil. That could have been completed by now, (I'm guessing) but we haven't heard boo about engine testing since the thing first started and ran successfully. What's up with that? Enquiring minds would love to know.

If I were king of the world, and the only engine had not, for some reason, been run to destruction, I'd be awfully tempted to build the P5 and stick the sucker in there (along with the correct tranny) and get some real-world numbers ASAP. One way to settle the doubters, about performance and mpg, at least.
If I were Paul Elio I wouldn't say much until after something has happened, and it's a lock from every angle, considering some of the flack the company has taken. Otherwise, yes, it would be nice to know more. :)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I were Paul Elio I wouldn't say much until after something has happened, and it's a lock from every angle, considering some of the flack the company has taken. Otherwise, yes, it would be nice to know more. :)

Speaking of speculation, if they get any significant headway with the p5->30, both the 506c and reservation numbers will gain momentum. So early releases have their benefits too. Either way we'll see 45k reservations before too long.

But I agree, I like solid news much better than promises. However, small incremental notices can have a calming effect sometimes.

Top Bottom