• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

They Said The 'p(5)' Word

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have shifted my focus from the speculation and the anticipated 2016 production date, to the build and unveiling of the P5 Prototype because nothing can happen until that step in the process is realized. The step following the P5 build, additional prototype builds for testing and if we are lucky 2 or three scheduled for ride and drive events.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed that they elected to use the automatic transmission in P5 until it occurred to me that along with testing for mileage and acceleration that would provide a platform that journalists could drive, and a lot of the journalists may not know how to drive manual. (like people on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc.)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed that they elected to use the automatic transmission in P5 until it occurred to me that along with testing for mileage and acceleration that would provide a platform that journalists could drive, and a lot of the journalists may not know how to drive manual. (like people on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc.)
The key is higher mpg with an automatic and EM is looking to get as close to 84 as possible.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The key is higher mpg with an automatic and EM is looking to get as close to 84 as possible.

I did acknowledge the mileage. I just remembered seeing one of the "journalists" - "hosts" get in one car that happened to be stick and almost stall it out on a live segment. Why embarrass yourself if you don't have to.
One of my worst jobs is teaching "newbies" how to drive our five speed M35A2 fire truck.
You would be shocked at the number of people who can't drive "stick".

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I did acknowledge the mileage. I just remembered seeing one of the "journalists" - "hosts" get in one car that happened to be stick and almost stall it out on a live segment. Why embarrass yourself if you don't have to.
One of my worst jobs is teaching "newbies" how to drive our five speed M35A2 fire truck.
No I wouldn't; I've run into it a number of times with my car. I told different people they could drive it, if they knew how (I had a Porsche 911 at the time) and once they saw three pedals and no P-R-N-D-L they had no clue.
There was a story in CA about a guy getting carjacked from his new Corvette; he got out, and when the carjackers got in, neither one knew how to drive a stick; the owner even tried to help them, but after stalling it 3 or 4 times, they just got out and left.
Hmm anti-theft device, get a stick rather than an automatic (if you can find it as an option).

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope not surprised. I prefer a stick as a major part of the driving experience, however, I'm getting too old so auto trans it is. Paddle shifters may add to the experience.

Last edited:

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have shifted my focus from the speculation and the anticipated 2016 production date, to the build and unveiling of the P5 Prototype because nothing can happen until that step in the process is realized. The step following the P5 build, additional prototype builds for testing and if we are lucky 2 or three scheduled for ride and drive events.
It would be pretty interesting to see several tens of thousands of people descending on Shreveport within a few months of each other to test drive a P5 and choose their options for production. :cool:

Top Bottom