• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Just Can't Last!

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whatever the mileage/efficiency hope that the testing the E doesn't wind up like VW!!
What, you mean #1 in revenue? yea that would suck..
vw.jpg

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
sneaky ain't half of it!! Today's news has the problem expanding internationally.
Lawsuits have begun, people who thought they were helping the air, people who liked the mileage and the pep, and with a resolve months, if not a year to will this be the end of diesels ??, and for sure the end of ay U S owner loyalty?? Loved my rabbit years ago, taught my kids stick-shift, pop the clutch, never stalled!!

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
sneaky ain't half of it!! Today's news has the problem expanding internationally.
Lawsuits have begun, people who thought they were helping the air, people who liked the mileage and the pep, and with a resolve months, if not a year to will this be the end of diesels ??, and for sure the end of ay U S owner loyalty?? Loved my rabbit years ago, taught my kids stick-shift, pop the clutch, never stalled!!
Nah. Toyota is doing fine, and if you believe the hype, their issue was killing people.
This too shall pass...

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think diesels will easily survive. This whole thing was the result of a person/people and not the technology. Like CompT said Toyota was allegedly killing people, as was GM and they are both in the land of the living.

Now as far as gas goes, this period of low prices is a blip. I'm really enjoying it but the prices of at least $4/gal will return. It seems this is a period of overproduction on steroids. It will settle down and the prices will return to reality. In the meantime, I'm driving like it's 2000 again! Woohoo!

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Safety standards the strictest, for the most part- Yay! There are some fun cars that are hard to get to as a result.
Clean air standard the strictest- Yay!
The environmentalists are active- Yay!
I agree with you completely!

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To be fair, the US market for diesel passenger cars is extremely small outside of the TDI engines. BMW and Mercedes have a diesel model each and then Chevy has the Cruze. I think that's about it until you get to SUVs and full size pickups.

But the whole VW story does raise some questions of whether small turbo-diesels will work in the US market the way it is currently regulated. The EPA regs set diesel emission limits per gallon burned rather than by the mile and it's inherently more difficult to make a smaller engine burn as clean as a larger one. This means that a big 8cyl diesel truck that gets 10mpg can more easily meet the current rules than a 100+ mpg diesel Elio. It seems like a strange approach to me, but it may make sense if gas burns cleanly enough in small cars to offset the loss in fuel efficiency.

Just based on the regulatory environment, I think we're likely to see an electric Elio before a diesel one.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Too true! You did! But I suppose we were extending to the various vehicles and the companies connected to show that worse things were happening but not only did those companies do well enough but the models connected to the events. Even if diesels aren't as clean as VW purported in many ways they are still superior to the regular ICE. So we just took it further than you posted. Sorry, no confusion intended.

Top Bottom