• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Weeks Tech Talk Is All About Interiors

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to go on record regarding the Lord Elgin Design instrument cluster. I don't like it. Analog, baby. I've had digital everything and although it is cool, practicality is lost on the instruments that require quick scans as you operate the vehicle. I don't have to know my speed or engine rpm to the nearest tenth nor do I want to take the time to interpret the digits.

The solution that I like best is the 'glass cockpit'. A display screen that can provide a video representation of analog, digital or a combination of both as well as virtually any other pertinent information. Since such a system would likely increase the cost of the vehicle by 50%, I don't expect to see one incorporated.

Just give me good old analog for all the important stuff and I'll be just fine.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am very happy that they are considering the Elgin gauges as standard from a wallet perspective, but I was going to go with them anyway and hoped that they would be an additional cost because I am buying the vehicle more for the quirkiness and uniqueness. It would have separated mine from those that just want a stick in the mud utility vehicle by an additional level...but I guess if i get a custom starwars paintjob and wear a stormtooper helmet I'll be different enough.

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like Zippers' idea of a glass dash (basically a fit-to-size monitor) and computer program that could be changed by the operator. When looking at costs and what's already available I believe it could be done for the same price, if not less, than the standard analog package. That being said I am sure that it won't be long before the after market jumps on ideas like Zippers' and comes out with something so cool it will knock your socks off. On another note, I hope all the exterior lighting is LED. For safety reasons I believe that LED is the way to go.

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Nothing in the interior shot is production except, perhaps, the top of the dashboard. The seats, steering wheel, gear shift, knobs, all controls, the door frames and the original dash are all borrowed from other cars so it is useless to comment on anything except the G-D awful, dysfunctional, commerative 'Elgin' dashboard. With it's tiny decorative speedo and tach, you better get out your bifocals. I have yet to see a more stupid design in 50+ years of automotive experience. Good gauges do not have to be read as the angle of the needle tells all. They should be big not little numbers passing by in a miniscule window. The first time Car and Driver or Road and Track see this car, the 'Elgin' dashboard will immediately garner scathing reviews for its user unfriendly design. The best thing it will do is create an instant market for its replacement with a programmable dashboard with digital representation of analog instruments. The information is already there electronically at the ODB port and the electronic dashboards are already in use. The 'Elgin' dashboard is a safety hazard.

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Nothing in the interior shot is production except, perhaps, the top of the dashboard. The seats, steering wheel, gear shift, knobs, all controls, the door frames and the original dash are all borrowed from other cars so it is useless to comment on anything except the G-D awful, dysfunctional, commerative 'Elgin' dashboard. With it's tiny decorative speedo and tach, you better get out your bifocals. I have yet to see a more stupid design in 50+ years of automotive experience. Good gauges do not have to be read as the angle of the needle tells all. They should be big not little numbers passing by in a miniscule window. The first time Car and Driver or Road and Track see this car, the 'Elgin' dashboard will immediately garner scathing reviews for its user unfriendly design. The best thing it will do is create an instant market for its replacement with a programmable dashboard with digital representation of analog instruments. The information is already there electronically at the ODB port and the electronic dashboards are already in use. The 'Elgin' dashboard is a safety hazard.
Agree but seems like this was "PE's" idea based on admiration of his fathers Elgin watch face! If it's stock, EM SHOULD offer an optional dash- I hope.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree but seems like this was "PE's" idea based on admiration of his fathers Elgin watch face! If it's stock, EM SHOULD offer an optional dash- I hope.
Perhaps PE should spin up a company to produce Elgin watch replicas in nice walnut boxes so he can include one with the purchase of each vehicle. At his own personal expense, of course. That way he could let us have our nice analog instruments and commemorate his Dad at the same time.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The seats, steering wheel, gear shift, knobs, all controls, the door frames and the original dash are all borrowed from other cars
But wasn't that supposed to be one of the design tenets - the use of components designed for other cars to keep costs down? If there are parts made for other cars that will work, why *wouldn't* they be the "real"/final design?

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The "Elgin" design could use "Stock" components with only the software to create the "Egin-esque" look.
I am "pro-choice." and if given a choice I will take the unique dash, whether Elgin or Jimmy Buffet inspired.

WCCFLY

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I actually like the elgin design but I agree that it may not be as easy to read as the standard dash and I would prefer to keep costs down vs. the cool look.

Since I only learned of the Elio last Thursday I've got some catching up to do but the number one thing that popped into my head was that I would really like to have a rear view camera that would replace a conventional rear view mirror that we know is useless in this design. It would be awesome to have the display integrated into the dash or instrument cluster.

As an avid motorcycle rider I anticipate that you would have normally good viewing from the side mirrors but even on a motorcycle I still need to turn my head and look in back of me while pushing back into a parking spot. Even a small 2" view like the kind placed in rear view mirrors would be extremely useful when piloting the elio backwards.

Jeff
I plan on getting an aftermarket rear view camera.

Top Bottom