• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thread(s) Of Elio As Long-distance Highway Machine

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe one of the after market supplier will design a luggage rack that can be installed on the trunk.

You might not even need the luggage rack. I have a pair of rectangular waterproof bags by Atlantic Design that I bought for my Miata. The two bags clip together with Fastex buckles, a pad goes over the trunk deck and the whole works is fastend down with adjustable straps. It's not necessarily Miata-specific, either. The assembly worked equally well on my wife's Geo Prizm when she had it; we used the bags for trips to her folks in North Carolina, and they worked very well.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We've traveled light for years, I don't remember the last time we checked luggage. But with that being said, traveling with the Elio would cause us to really plan carefully and plan to do laundry along the way. But we do that anyway! Check out https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/packing-smart , it will give you some idea of how to approach it. Of course, with 2 in the car, we will need to take it to the next level. It's doable, even for us it would be close but doable.

Buy new cloths along the way and mail home the old ones.
Don't wear them tooooo looonnnggg.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You might not even need the luggage rack. I have a pair of rectangular waterproof bags by Atlantic Design that I bought for my Miata. The two bags clip together with Fastex buckles, a pad goes over the trunk deck and the whole works is fastend down with adjustable straps. It's not necessarily Miata-specific, either. The assembly worked equally well on my wife's Geo Prizm when she had it; we used the bags for trips to her folks in North Carolina, and they worked very well.

any chance of posting a picture of them in use ?

Jim

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mine will be mainly used as a commuter car . I frequently work at the Atl. Airport which is a 110 mile round trip from the house and probably will enter it in some car shows the first year just to show it off. If it turns out to be comfortable and I can see using it for weekend get a ways and of course cruising with a group.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 3816[/QUOTE]
any chance of posting a picture of them in use ?

Jim
I was curious too and found this:
image.jpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had been toying with a novel idea for some time when LO, and BEHOLD some guy with a funny name beat me to it! I was smitten. Anyway, I have a 6.2 mile drive to work and get 24 to 28 mpg depending if I want to keep up with traffic or not. We expect to take our darling Elio to Houston, TX at least once a year. The name doesn't sound funny anymore, just fun.

Top Bottom