• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Time To "get 'er Done"

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the 'final' design in 1972 till the first launch in 1982 the space shuttle took 10 years. Was that still in the 'instant gratification' generation? That was done with archaeic computers and it was almost TOTALLY custom designed from main engines to booster rockets to guidance and control systems and life-support, right down to the zero-g toilet. It converts 1.6 million lbs. of oxygen and hydrogen to water vapor in an eight minute burn with a launch weight of four million lbs. Got 'er done.
Paul certainly doesn't have a NASA-type budget, but it's kind of a fun contrast in terms of engineering challenges. After all, the Elio is just a car. There are lots of cars already, the technology is all there, and all the parts are either already produced or a fairly simple matter of molding and fabricating. Maybe NASA could spare a couple people to lend a hand on some prototypes. ;-)
and the point is?

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the 'final' design in 1972 till the first launch in 1982 the space shuttle took 10 years. Was that still in the 'instant gratification' generation? That was done with archaeic computers and it was almost TOTALLY custom designed from main engines to booster rockets to guidance and control systems and life-support, right down to the zero-g toilet. It converts 1.6 million lbs. of oxygen and hydrogen to water vapor in an eight minute burn with a launch weight of four million lbs. Got 'er done.
Paul certainly doesn't have a NASA-type budget, but it's kind of a fun contrast in terms of engineering challenges. After all, the Elio is just a car. There are lots of cars already, the technology is all there, and all the parts are either already produced or a fairly simple matter of molding and fabricating. Maybe NASA could spare a couple people to lend a hand on some prototypes. ;-)
I am guessing your point is... you know that Mag44 is older. Or maybe Mag44 and maybe you were involved in building and launching the shuttle? There were a lot of personnel involved, and the shuttle was built by the lowest bidders. Doesn't invoke a sense of comfort...o_O

If Elio had "pockets" like the government and NASA, Paul Elio wouldn't have the financial issue, there would be no need to use spare NASA personnel because he would have hired workers already and the Elio would be in production. The main issue in the delay is financial. The other delays are just normal, and as Paul tries to hit the "Must Haves" targets. There is no reason to get the car into production if it isn't better. The Smart Car gets the same MPG as my Saturn. ...But I must admit that the Elio has more of the cool factor.:cool:

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am guessing your point is... you know that Mag44 is older. Or maybe Mag44 and maybe you were involved in building and launching the shuttle? There were a lot of personnel involved, and the shuttle was built by the lowest bidders. Doesn't invoke a sense of comfort...o_O

If Elio had "pockets" like the government and NASA, Paul Elio wouldn't have the financial issue, there would be no need to use spare NASA personnel because he would have hired workers already and the Elio would be in production. The main issue in the delay is financial. The other delays are just normal and as Paul tries to hit the "Must Haves" targets. There is no reason to get the car into production if it isn't better. The Smart Car gets the same MPG and my Saturn. ...But I must admit that the Elio has more of the cool factor.:cool:
My point is that it's not that difficult to build a car. It's nothing to do with 'instant gratification' to say that a prototype or two might not be a bad idea. It's NOT rocket science, (hence the rocket reference :-) ). I can build a car in my garage. (Building rockets seemed to violate some kind of zoning ordnance.). And if the main problem is funding, then an actual, functioning, proof-of-concept vehicle would go a long way toward convincing possible investors. Were I a potential investor I would not be all that impressed by a couple motorized mock-ups and some computer calculations. If all it takes is money to get the ball rolling then this whole thing should be a couple pen-strokes away from reality. We're not talking all that much cash really.
The proposal is a $6800 car that gets 84 mpg and has reasonable driving performance and safety. None of those things have ever been done. Being able to show that it actually works, or even ALMOST works would be a BENEFIT to financing.
On a completely unrelated topic, I'll be starting production on a flying car soon. I have built one that doesn't actually fly, but I've got some GREAT computer simulations and calculations. I'm sure that by the time it goes into production We'll have it flying. Anyone care to invest?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My point is that it's not that difficult to build a car. It's nothing to do with 'instant gratification' to say that a prototype or two might not be a bad idea. It's NOT rocket science, (hence the rocket reference :) ). I can build a car in my garage. (Building rockets seemed to violate some kind of zoning ordnance.). And if the main problem is funding, then an actual, functioning, proof-of-concept vehicle would go a long way toward convincing possible investors. Were I a potential investor I would not be all that impressed by a couple motorized mock-ups and some computer calculations. If all it takes is money to get the ball rolling then this whole thing should be a couple pen-strokes away from reality. We're not talking all that much cash really.
The proposal is a $6800 car that gets 84 mpg and has reasonable driving performance and safety. None of those things have ever been done. Being able to show that it actually works, or even ALMOST works would be a BENEFIT to financing.
On a completely unrelated topic, I'll be starting production on a flying car soon. I have built one that doesn't actually fly, but I've got some GREAT computer simulations and calculations. I'm sure that by the time it goes into production We'll have it flying. Anyone care to invest?
I'll be happy to supply the air necessary to get your project off the ground. If you then heat it, you'll have more hot air for your project

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My point is that it's not that difficult to build a car.

while way above my pay grade, ability level, or interest level, I have several friends who have custom built a car/truck in their garage .... while I really respect their efforts and don't want to minimize it in any way, that's nowhere near what EM is in the process of doing .... they did custom build earlier prototypes and in doing so learned that to achieve their goals they had to create a special power plant .... that process is nearing an end and shortly that motor will end up powering a prototype and eventually production models .... anyone believing they can take on a project like EM and do a better job should give it a try .... over time numerous folks have tried and very few have succeeded

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that's an interesting accusation .... I'd be curious to know where your evidence is .... seeing your location is listed as being in Louisiana, if you have proof please present it and you really might want to consider showing it to local law enforcement as well .... if not and all you have is something made up out of thin air, I can't help but wonder what your purpose is in joining this forum making such a charge

Reading Mag44's scurrilous accusation, one has to wonder if perhaps Mag44 is a close personal friend, or perhaps relative of Stephanie Lynch?

mag44

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Elio is doing pretty good at destruction without Lynch's or anyone else help.
As for as the money goes it has already been said by Paul they needed 250 million and then it comes out that he has collected 65 million but still needs 250 million. I think we need to know where the money has gone since a lot has put up a non refundable deposit.
That's not to much to ask. Oh, anyone seen the Elio Engine? No, didn't think so.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is doing pretty good at destruction without Lynch's or anyone else help.
As for as the money goes it has already been said by Paul they needed 250 million and then it comes out that he has collected 65 million but still needs 250 million. I think we need to know where the money has gone since a lot has put up a non refundable deposit.
That's not to much to ask. Oh, anyone seen the Elio Engine? No, didn't think so.

Unless you have some skin in the game (minimum $100 non-refundable out of your own pocket) you have no right to ask for an accounting.
If you do have skin in the game, you should have read the agreement. It clearly states that the car may never be built. So if you put money in on that basis, you may be disappointed, but you made a potentially risky investment and now you need to tough it out.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My point is that it's not that difficult to build a car. It's nothing to do with 'instant gratification' to say that a prototype or two might not be a bad idea. It's NOT rocket science, (hence the rocket reference :) ). I can build a car in my garage. (Building rockets seemed to violate some kind of zoning ordnance.). And if the main problem is funding, then an actual, functioning, proof-of-concept vehicle would go a long way toward convincing possible investors. Were I a potential investor I would not be all that impressed by a couple motorized mock-ups and some computer calculations. If all it takes is money to get the ball rolling then this whole thing should be a couple pen-strokes away from reality. We're not talking all that much cash really.
I don't know about the flying car stuff...but I have to agree w/ carzes on this one. And why not, use EM's existing P4, it's drivable, put that new engine in and that's what they should unveil...a complete working prototype w/ it's own brand new motor! EM already did good w/ their tours, and sent a message that ELIO does exist! Now get it tested using the prototype w/ the new engine and give us the updates!!! I think EM should be able to manage it while they're waiting for the needed funding. We as investors who have skin in the game shouldn't be too lenient...I don't have no idea how much it's costing EM on these tours, the airline tickets, hotel accommodations, salaries and allowances of the staff, etc but I wouldn't have the problem shutting down these tours "for now" and concentrate their money and effort in getting this prototype tested so they can report actual mpg, speed and engine performance....isn't these the real questions we want to hear? It maybe the one the investors wanted to hear instead of where they're going to be on their next tour!!!! I don't need to hear another excuse "how hard it is to start a car company from the ground up" that is apart from the current funding problem. It's high time TO GET 'ER TESTED!!! ( I said tested not done).;):mad::cool:

Top Bottom