• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tire Sensors

2barrel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've seen tire pressure caps that seem like they would provide a very quick means of monitoring your tire pressure and cost very little. Something like these:

61l27zP0rJL._SL1100_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Pres...1481377023&sr=1-2&keywords=tire+pressure+caps

Does anybody have experience with them? If they work, then it is just another KISS mechanism to monitor tire pressure.
Careful if the caps have a chemical reaction with with your valve stem when you go to remove them to add air, goodbye valve stem! I've seen it happen with other aftermarket valve caps.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Careful if the caps have a chemical reaction with with your valve stem when you go to remove them to add air, goodbye valve stem! I've seen it happen with other aftermarket valve caps.
That's one of the reasons I always have metal stems, never had problems with them.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've seen tire pressure caps that seem like they would provide a very quick means of monitoring your tire pressure and cost very little. Something like these:

Does anybody have experience with them? If they work, then it is just another KISS mechanism to monitor tire pressure.
I've had these before. (Not sure about the exact brand.) They do provide easy/quick pressure indication. Make sure you get the right pressure rating. They were kinda cheap, and one of them leaked. Another fell apart before too long. Altogether they were an interesting gimmick, but not worth the hassle.

Magnafique

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPMS... two systems.

1. Indirect - uses antilock brake system to figure out if a wheel is rotating too fast... means it is possibly going flat. This is hard to do with a single rear wheel.
2. Direct - uses active sensors in each tire. It's more expensive but you don't have to spin the wheels to detect flats.

Hopefully, Elio will go with an active system. They could go with indirect up front and direct for the rear to keep costs down a bit.

Magnafique

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan to toss a can of fix a flat in the Elio and see where that gets me. I do plan to order the tire monitor system for just $84.00. I have the same system on my 2008 Ford Ranger pickup. It doesn't show me which tire is low only that "A" tire is low. It alarmed a couple of years ago. I got out and found that my right rear tire was getting low and had plenty o time to get it to a Les Schwab here in Oregon and have it fixed.

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I plan to toss a can of fix a flat in the Elio and see where that gets me. I do plan to order the tire monitor system for just $84.00. I have the same system on my 2008 Ford Ranger pickup. It doesn't show me which tire is low only that "A" tire is low. It alarmed a couple of years ago. I got out and found that my right rear tire was getting low and had plenty o time to get it to a Les Schwab here in Oregon and have it fixed.
Could someone please provide a link to the manufacturer of this system? I want to know all of the characteristics of the system so that I can determine its quality.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll probably carry the same gummy worm hole repair kit that I keep in my shop. It's very small and pretty simple to use. It won't fix a tire off the rim, of course, but if I run over a nail or screw, it'll fix those types of holes. A can of fix a flat will have to suffice to inflate the tire at that point though unless I'm really close to a fill station (or home).
http://www.harborfreight.com/tubeless-tire-repair-kit-9-pc-62611.html

Magnafique

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll probably carry the same gummy worm hole repair kit that I keep in my shop. It's very small and pretty simple to use. It won't fix a tire off the rim, of course, but if I run over a nail or screw, it'll fix those types of holes. A can of fix a flat will have to suffice to inflate the tire at that point though unless I'm really close to a fill station (or home).
http://www.harborfreight.com/tubeless-tire-repair-kit-9-pc-62611.html
I bought a cheap air compressor and added some longer wires for the battery hookup. I keep in in one of my saddlebags on my cruiser bike. I have never had to use it, but I have aired up quite a few tires for my buddies when we go on group rides. I am amazed at how many riders do not check their tire pressures before they ride. I had one guy with 19 lbs in the rear tire and 16 in the front on a Honda Shadow 1100cc. I noticed how low his tires were at our first stop after 55 miles.

Magnafique

Top Bottom