• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tire Sensors

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
that's why my first word in the response was agree he's absolutely rigth
You sure? You know it might be that stuff at the Hospital they gave you hasn't worn off yet :p ( <------ Notice icon at end)

Ok, I'm leaving now and going back to work,
I've gotten terrible at multitasking anymore.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_2351.PNG
View attachment 11991 Would it be better to put Slime in the tires to prevent flats, or to pay for sensors in the tires to tell you that you have a flat or low tire? I have Slime in my tires on my Polaris and have only had one flat in over 10 years, and it was a blow out. Could you give me your opinion? I don't like the idea of having my Elio towed or leaving it jacked up while having the tire fixed. I am assuming that there isn't a spare tire? Thanks for your input. Doug
By the time that we get our Elio's, we might not need tire sensors. These tires should be in production for cars in Aug. 2017!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 21003
By the time that we get our Elio's, we might not need tire sensors. These tires should be in production for cars in Aug. 2017!

I like those, but always wondered about ice, snow, mud, etc getting between the tread and rim and what kind of havoc that would wreak on the tire balance and handling. Cool idea though. Maybe someday.

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
In response to an earlier post, I used the valve stem pressure caps on my 4.2 S-type Jag as well as a Lincoln MKZ hybrid. I like them very much. You have to match the pressure to be monitored, and the swap is easy. They usually come in even pressures. Wife did break one of the caps by parking too close to the curb which broke the clear plastic, and that caused a flat, which just required reinflation to repair. You have to buy them in packs of 4 (well, maybe by now you can buy them in pairs), so that one just has a regular cover now. Caps are an indicator, and should not replace normal maintenance. Get a good tire gauge and take the valve cover off to test. Top off, if needed. Common sense stuff, really. We rely on technology today a little too much. My dad (now passed) taught me that radials are designed to have the tread flat to the road as much as possible, and just by visual inspection, you can't tell if a tire is under/over pressure. Use a gauge.

If these airless tires come with a sidewall, then the cost of tires might be cheaper in the long run. This would also eliminate the mud/snow concerns. Are we seeing these tires in ads for marketing purposes, and the real tires will not look any different?

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I ran across this product today on Amazon. Could be a good substitute for people that don't get the factory OEM TPMS system. This product offers Bluetooth and app integration as well, and the reviews seem positive.

http://a.co/2zVb95y

Sensor1.jpg

Sensor2.PNG

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My sister-in-law recently purchased a set of tire pressure monitoring valve caps, that connect to a display unit you mount on the dash. Seems to work pretty well. The system comes with a jam nut you put on the valve stem first, then put on the cap, then back the jam nut out until it tightens against the cap, locking the whole thing in place. It even came with a special tool to allow you to tighten the very thin jam nut against the cap. The display unit has pressure and tire temperature displays for all four tires, and a configurable alarm level. It has a channel for monitoring the spare tire, but did not come with a sensor for it.

The instructions sucked, but I figured out how to set it and configure the alarms.

The only problem was that the left front stem would not seal when the replacement cap was installed. I tried all four replacement caps on it with the same result: an audible air leak. The left front replacement cap sealed on one of the other tires. I figured something was just wonky with that valve stem. The tires were practically brand new, with new valve stems, too. I told her she needed to go back to Walmart and get the valve stem replaced, or go to some other shop and pay them $20 to put in another one. I don't think she ever did, though.

The thing is, that without all four of the caps in place on the tires, that the unit would constantly alarm, making it useless. There seemed to be no way to tell the unit to ignore that particular channel, or silence the alarm for just that tire. Alarms were set to allow different front/rear pressure, but not for individual tires. So without all four replacement caps installed and functional, the system is useless. You get a constant audible warning about low tire pressure. And if you lost one cap, the entire system was useless for the same reason.

Moral of the story: If you plan on buying these add-on monitoring systems for your Elio (or other trike), make sure it is one that will function properly in a three-wheeled vehicle. If it is sold for four-wheeled vehicles, it may not be capable of working when there are only three tires to monitor.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My sister-in-law recently purchased a set of tire pressure monitoring valve caps, that connect to a display unit you mount on the dash. Seems to work pretty well. The system comes with a jam nut you put on the valve stem first, then put on the cap, then back the jam nut out until it tightens against the cap, locking the whole thing in place. It even came with a special tool to allow you to tighten the very thin jam nut against the cap. The display unit has pressure and tire temperature displays for all four tires, and a configurable alarm level. It has a channel for monitoring the spare tire, but did not come with a sensor for it.

The instructions sucked, but I figured out how to set it and configure the alarms.

The only problem was that the left front stem would not seal when the replacement cap was installed. I tried all four replacement caps on it with the same result: an audible air leak. The left front replacement cap sealed on one of the other tires. I figured something was just wonky with that valve stem. The tires were practically brand new, with new valve stems, too. I told her she needed to go back to Walmart and get the valve stem replaced, or go to some other shop and pay them $20 to put in another one. I don't think she ever did, though.

The thing is, that without all four of the caps in place on the tires, that the unit would constantly alarm, making it useless. There seemed to be no way to tell the unit to ignore that particular channel, or silence the alarm for just that tire. Alarms were set to allow different front/rear pressure, but not for individual tires. So without all four replacement caps installed and functional, the system is useless. You get a constant audible warning about low tire pressure. And if you lost one cap, the entire system was useless for the same reason.

Moral of the story: If you plan on buying these add-on monitoring systems for your Elio (or other trike), make sure it is one that will function properly in a three-wheeled vehicle. If it is sold for four-wheeled vehicles, it may not be capable of working when there are only three tires to monitor.
Well, with the one I mentioned, they directly mention the 3 wheel trike/reverse trike configuration.

Hootersnoocher

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'd like to tell a story about normal air density. I live in Michigan. In 1980, I had just started with a new company. All of their Ford E-250 vans were new. In January I had a three day run from the shop just north of Detroit, into the thumb and then over to Bay City and north. Did a pre trip , checkin oil levels, tire psi's, lights, all was great. All went sweet the first day, finished in Lewiston, MI. Got a room and had a heater in the cargo area to keep my equipment kinda warm. Next morning, 7:30am it was 26 below zero. Got the truck started, and let it run while I got breakfast. You still with me? So, I get finished and fill the thermos with coffee. I'm all set for my day. Get in to go to back out and cutting the wheel to back out of the parking spot and both front tires broke their beads and came off their rims. Could move no farther. Damn limited slip rear-end was locked from the frigid night and would not follow. The air in the tires had shrunk like the hot steaming 55 gallon barrel that gets sealed and cooled. It can implode said barrel. I should have posted this in Jokes, but then again!

Top Bottom