• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trunk Questions

D.D.Bwana

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the new safety requirements of seating systems, DIY projects on those mounts might not be a good idea. In a collision you want that back seat as secure as possible . . and tested.
That box of tissue sitting in the back window of the family car will hit you in the back of the head with a force of 30 pounds during a front end collision. Hate to think what the force of the back seat would be.

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
With all the new safety requirements of seating systems, DIY projects on those mounts might not be a good idea. In a collision you want that back seat as secure as possible . . and tested.
Now don't discourage him...after all, how else are we going to be entertained on here but getting visuals of all the DIY guys, making mods that will only give the vehicle bad press when they crash into something, blow up or they interview them on TV and they blame Elio for their ignorance to leave the design alone! What a riot forums are!!

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not a car. A motorcycle. I modded every motorcycle I've ever had.
image.jpg

MK

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now don't discourage him...after all, how else are we going to be entertained on here but getting visuals of all the DIY guys, making mods that will only give the vehicle bad press when they crash into something, blow up or they interview them on TV and they blame Elio for their ignorance to leave the design alone! What a riot forums are!!
I don't think there is any inherent problem with us diy'ers doing mods. I've done some pretty crazy stuff, but if you think it all through quite thoroughly the major disasters can be avoided. That being said, I do have to agree rhat seat mounting, while not being rocket science, is probably best left up to the designers for purposes of insurance and such in the event of a crash.
That is why I propose Elio could make the vehicle standard with mounting brackets for the back seat and for the universal child seat atachments. That would give more cargo space as needed and not require the back seat if all we want is to attach a child seat. That would add the cost of the brackets, therefore I submit that they could then sell the rear seat as an optional accessory. They make a little money selling seats, those who don't want it don't have to buy it, and no need for a seperate delivery model. Seems like everyone wins. Any thoughts?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think there is any inherent problem with us diy'ers doing mods. I've done some pretty crazy stuff, but if you think it all through quite thoroughly the major disasters can be avoided. That being said, I do have to agree rhat seat mounting, while not being rocket science, is probably best left up to the designers for purposes of insurance and such in the event of a crash.
That is why I propose Elio could make the vehicle standard with mounting brackets for the back seat and for the universal child seat atachments. That would give more cargo space as needed and not require the back seat if all we want is to attach a child seat. That would add the cost of the brackets, therefore I submit that they could then sell the rear seat as an optional accessory. They make a little money selling seats, those who don't want it don't have to buy it, and no need for a seperate delivery model. Seems like everyone wins. Any thoughts?
Then they could not call it a two seater. :-) Z

Top Bottom