• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trunk Questions

zelio

Elio Addict
OK, "optional third row seating" becomes "optional second seating". It could come standard with a milk crate second seat like my first car.
I have 2 friends I occasionally transport on separate occasions who are more handicapped than I am. Somehow I don't think a milk crate will do it for them. I think we should simply stick with the original Paul Elio design of tandem 2 seats standard equipment and make removal an option at an extra cost. After all, I am in no position to be able to pay for an additional seat as I am low fixed income. Nice try though. LOL :-) Z

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
I don't think there is any inherent problem with us diy'ers doing mods. I've done some pretty crazy stuff, but if you think it all through quite thoroughly the major disasters can be avoided. That being said, I do have to agree rhat seat mounting, while not being rocket science, is probably best left up to the designers for purposes of insurance and such in the event of a crash.
That would add the cost of the brackets, therefore I submit that they could then sell the rear seat as an optional accessory. They make a little money selling seats, those who don't want it don't have to buy it, and no need for a seperate delivery model. Seems like everyone wins. Any thoughts?

My thought is, most of us are "over thinking" this issue. Of all the cars I have ever owned, NONE of them had a back seat that was "welded" in place. Most of them, especially the later models, could be removed in under 4 minutes. a 10mm socket, 2 bolts for the seat bottom & 2 or 4 bolts for the seat back. Even if I plan to never use it, I would order my Elio "with" it, for resale.

Danno

Elio Aficionado
My thought is, most of us are "over thinking" this issue. Of all the cars I have ever owned, NONE of them had a back seat that was "welded" in place. Most of them, especially the later models, could be removed in under 4 minutes. a 10mm socket, 2 bolts for the seat bottom & 2 or 4 bolts for the seat back. Even if I plan to never use it, I would order my Elio "with" it, for resale.
I agree with you on the over thinking part and yes anyone can disassemble their own car. My question is, if this is a commuter vehicle, how much stuff do you need on a daily basis...I know women who basically "live" out of their car but even if I'm going on a three hour weekend trip, how much do I really need to lug with me?
Campers, well this isn't the vehicle for you IMHO. And there was a thread of online statement somewhere about when you are single, you don't buy a van, when you have kids and sports events, you don't buy a sports car...you buy what will work for you. I realize I will not be towing my 1200 lb trailer with this car, it completely defeats the purpose. But to go visit family or friends, yes, absolutely the correct vehicle.

Rickb

Elio Addict
I agree with you on the over thinking part and yes anyone can disassemble their own car. My question is, if this is a commuter vehicle, how much stuff do you need on a daily basis...I know women who basically "live" out of their car but even if I'm going on a three hour weekend trip, how much do I really need to lug with me?
Campers, well this isn't the vehicle for you IMHO. And there was a thread of online statement somewhere about when you are single, you don't buy a van, when you have kids and sports events, you don't buy a sports car...you buy what will work for you. I realize I will not be towing my 1200 lb trailer with this car, it completely defeats the purpose. But to go visit family or friends, yes, absolutely the correct vehicle.
Camp grounds are currently filled with camping enthusiasts riding motorcycles so the Elio will be a vehicle for campers.............use it however it works for you.............with all the planned available options. Towing a trailer may defeat your purpose, but I plan to make the commuter Elio.......more functional........a multi-purpose vehicle.

Elio says a possible no back seat option........delivery Elio. The Elio a perfect Pizza Delivery Van.........not just a commuter.

Rickb

Elio Addict
If I could sleep on the ground I probably get away with that also. Unfortunately, age has caught up with me and I definitely need something off the ground and bigger than an air mattress to sleep on. :) Z
I wonder If I could haul my adjustable Tempurpedic Mattress along to sleep on? I would need a power outlet at the campsite. Age has really caught up with me! LOL

zelio

Elio Addict
I wonder If I could haul my adjustable Tempurpedic Mattress along to sleep on? I would need a power outlet at the campsite. Age has really caught up with me! LOL
Thank goodness I'm not that bad off yet. LOL However, I do have to worry whether a double size memory foam mattress topper will be too heavy to tow in my Mini Mate camper trailer. Ain't life and aging grand? LOL :-) Z