• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trying To Understand "wraps"

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand the basics of wraps - my problem with the configuration page is with 170 colors some are probably matte and some metallic, but without knowing the brand of the material there's no telling. Personally if I'm going to afford a wrap, I'd like Brushed Titanium, but which one might that be on Elio's color chart?
View attachment 11191
It's probably not on Elio's chart. Also, the color rendition on the Configurator is beyond AWFUL. Horrible, horrendous, grossly inaccurate, vile, and WRONG.

This is one problem they need to fix. It is very hard to render a reflective light source (your car) on a computer screen (transmissive source), but they could come about 20 miles closer (and still not be right). Just take the red shown on the configurator for the Red P5 photos, like this one:

_DSC0374.jpg
P5 from Configurator.png

Neither of these is correct but I guarantee you the one I shot inDetroit last January is a hell of a lot closer than the configurator screen shot. (The screen shot is slightly worse than the actual web page because the image is "dumbed down" a bit by apple's "preview" program. But only slightly. It's still disgusting).

So, the wraps aren't accurate either.

Because of that, I would NEVER buy a wrap without seeing a physical sample of the vinyl, and if it's a partial wrap, I'd never buy one without putting it next to an actual paint sample or the car itself.

So I'll pass on anything related to color via the configurator. It's just too far wrong to be useful. Maybe I'll take my nice new Elio around to the best-rated local wrap shop and see.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You have an issue with your browser. The color rendering is much better than that image on my computer.
Browser, possibly. I'll try a couple of others. Monitor, definitely not. Eizo, top of the line, calibrated bi-weekly. Which browser are you using?

____

OK, you're at least partly right. Chrome rendered much more accurately, but still way off. I tried it with Apple's built in screen capture. Looked much better -- but this Forum's image processor killed the color. It hurts color for anything, but in this case while the color itself is better, the luminance is killed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 7.46.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 7.46.56 PM.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Coss is right about (a lot of things) checking an actual color sample against your actual car color. If you're thinking of doing a "two-tone" color scheme, there are (for most of us) plenty of local professionals who can help you get the results you are looking for. There will be several benefits to having the work done locally: 1) "If" (when) your wrap gets a "ding" or cut, they will know exactly what film was used. 2) Coss also alluded to vinyl (wrap material) being available in different levels of "gloss or matte" finish.
Personally, I would think about paint. It will be more durable and (depending on paint type) easier to "touch up"....wraps can't be. The entire panel (wrap material) must be removed & replaced.
Talk to a few local paint shops before you get your Elio. Tell them what is on your mind. Some of these guys might cut you a break just because doing a custom paint job on a brand new Elio would be a feather in their cap AND has the potential to generate future business for them.
Now, about "removing your wrap" I would be amazed if you can find a professional who charges less than $50/hr to remove it, and they won't tell you how long it "should" take...because there are sooo many variables involved. After 3-5 years (even using "8-9 year vinyl"), it is going to start to get dull, fade, shrink and crack. Sooner on horizontal surfaces, or when applied over dark paint.
Want to "save money" by removing it yourself?...unless you are actually "better than you think you are", Plan on paying for a new paint job.

Yes, I have installed and removed a few wraps, Fwiw :D

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some poor people like me are color blind, I wish they would list the colors instead of just a little tiny box. Many of them look the same to me, which is why I need to see them in real life and in sunlight.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio would do themselves a favor by making sure each retail outlet has a panel for each of the primary color choices and color coupons with each of the available wraps. Buying sight unseen based on the configurator is just asking for it.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio would do themselves a favor by making sure each retail outlet has a panel for each of the primary color choices and color coupons with each of the available wraps. Buying sight unseen based on the configurator is just asking for it.
Exactly. And they do plan in having paint samples in the stores.

But not everyone will be able to buy at a store. I'm one of them. So being able to order a card with chips on it would be very helpful. In particular I have no idea what "licorice" actually looks like. I have seen renderings running from a very warm dark gray to a very cold black. Enquiring minds would like to know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom