• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trying To Understand "wraps"

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. And they do plan in having paint samples in the stores.

But not everyone will be able tinbuybat a store. I'm one of them. So being able to order a card with chips on it wiuld be very helpful. In particular I have no idea what "licorice" actually looks like. I have seen renderings eunning from a very warm dark gray to a very cold black. Enquiring minds would like to know.
When I said panel, I meant a body panel like the hood or rear hatch painted with the OEM colors. I realize this is impractical to do with each wrap color and shade, so small metal coupons wrapped with each wrap color would be a good alternative.

Reactions: Ekh

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Coss is right about (a lot of things) checking an actual color sample against your actual car color. If you're thinking of doing a "two-tone" color scheme, there are (for most of us) plenty of local professionals who can help you get the results you are looking for. There will be several benefits to having the work done locally: 1) "If" (when) your wrap gets a "ding" or cut, they will know exactly what film was used. 2) Coss also alluded to vinyl (wrap material) being available in different levels of "gloss or matte" finish.
Personally, I would think about paint. It will be more durable and (depending on paint type) easier to "touch up"....wraps can't be. The entire panel (wrap material) must be removed & replaced.
Talk to a few local paint shops before you get your Elio. Tell them what is on your mind. Some of these guys might cut you a break just because doing a custom paint job on a brand new Elio would be a feather in their cap AND has the potential to generate future business for them.
Now, about "removing your wrap" I would be amazed if you can find a professional who charges less than $50/hr to remove it, and they won't tell you how long it "should" take...because there are sooo many variables involved. After 3-5 years (even using "8-9 year vinyl"), it is going to start to get dull, fade, shrink and crack. Sooner on horizontal surfaces, or when applied over dark paint.
Want to "save money" by removing it yourself?...unless you are actually "better than you think you are", Plan on paying for a new paint job.

Yes, I have installed and removed a few wraps, Fwiw :D
Thank you for the compliments; that was really nice to hear. :thumb:
And the thing about removing them, it's almost like removing window tint and cleaning the class to redo it; just BIGGER!!:shocked:

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wraps - i prefer mine chicken caesar with croutons :D...(just kidding)

I watched the videos though...definitely not a job for me to attempt, but all the input has been absolutely awesome thanks everyone :D

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I said panel, I meant a body panel like the hood or rear hatch painted with the OEM colors. I realize this is impractical to do with each wrap color and shade, so small metal coupons wrapped with each wrap color would be a good alternative.
How nice to see somebody use "coupons" in this less common but more original sense.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I think the Configurator should have a link to the videos and the FAQ section on the page Jambe found as a link on the wraps.
I don't think most people realize just how much time and work it takes to install them. It's a massive job; and compared to repainting a car, a wrap is more work.

Do you agree with their statement that most wraps last 3 to 5 years? Just curious if your experience reflects that statement.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you agree with their statement that most wraps last 3 to 5 years? Just curious if your experience reflects that statement.
Yes, kind of; a lot of it depends on things like it is exposed to weather constantly or is it garage kept; is it exposed to really hot summers and is winter snow and ice? How well do you take care of your vehicles? Wash them once a year at the local fund raiser high school car wash, or do you was it by hand once a week or more? And the list goes on; it lasts longer the better the care you give it; but if you're a put it on and expect it to look the same in 5 years with no care you're in for a rude awakening. It's a thin film and the better the film, the longer it will last.
So there are a lot of variables; exposure to hot bright sun and cheap film will fade within 2 to 3 years.
So it's up to the owner how long it will last, but 3 to 5 years is easy if you take minimal care of it, 7 to 8 is well within reason if you take care show care of it,

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The only color I can't put up with is sour apple green, and the only color I can't have (without a wrap) is a really rich yellow. So maybe I'll just take what I can get and live with paint. Maybe get some fancy striping done....
You can have any color you want; just take it to a good body and paint shop and have them do the color change.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can have any color you want; just take it to a good body and paint shop and have them do the color change.
I meant without paying a ton for it!

But if I were going to pay to have it painted, I'd go
RR-Lotus25_2471395b.jpg
for BRG (British Racing Green) with lemon-yellow stripes applied in one of Silas's patterns (see above). Definitely have the lower part of the wheel covers painted an off-setting color

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant without paying a ton for it!

But if I were going to pay to have it painted, I'd go for BRG (British Racing Green) with lemon-yellow stripes applied in one of Silas's patterns (see above). Definitely have the lower part of the wheel covers painted an off-setting color
You can get a paint job like that for around $3K to $4K
If you had a wrap done at a regular shop, and not through EM it would run you around $2,700

So it's not that bad.

Top Bottom