• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Two Rear Tire Instead Of One

Bret McCarthy

Reaction score
I am wondering why you don't just make the rear tire, 2 tires instead and then owners wouldn't need to get a motorcycle drivers license? Why not have that as an option?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am wondering why you don't just make the rear tire, 2 tires instead and then owners wouldn't need to get a motorcycle drivers license? Why not have that as an option?
Then it wouldn't be an Elio. I am willing to bet that by the time the first Elio has rolled off the production line none of you will need a motorcycle endorsement. I have heard so many explanations by better qualified members than I that I could write a book. Trust Paul Elio to know what he is doing. He has a VP of Government Affairs contacting every state to make sure the Elio is licensed as a motorcycle without endorsements or helmet. We also weigh in on this issue and contact representatives where needed. This will happen. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Bret, Welcome to the ElioOwners.com forum!

As Craig pointed out the single biggest reason for three wheels and not four is the additional costs involved in being classified as a car. If this were a four wheel vehicle it would then be classified as a car at the federal level and would be subject to a whole host of additional rules and regulations which would drive the cost up significantly.

Luckily, as Zelio pointed out, the drivers license rules are set at the state level and they have the option of exempting this vehicle from motorcycle license and helmet requirements. Elio motors is working very hard on the states and has had a lot of success to the point that I doubt this will be an issue for the vast majority of Elio owners by the time this vehicle goes on sale next year.

Glad you decided to join us on this fun forum full of Elio fans. We have a diverse group of people here from all over the country who really enjoy discussing everything there is to know about this interesting vehicle. I hope you enjoy your time here reading about and/or discussing all there is to know about Elio Motors.

If you ever happen to have any issues while on this forum please be sure to notify a staff member as we are here to help. :cool:

Last edited:

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two tires on One rear wheel..... would still make it a 3-Wheel MOTORCYCLE. It would have to be re-designed (more cost, time, regulations) to make it a CAR...... something we don't want![Broken External Image]

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and the legion of Elio enthusiasts. Here you will find the latest information, facts, rumors, and opinions about the Elio. There are plenty of friendly helpful people who will try to answer all your questions and you will find hours of entertainment. Enjoy the Elio experience

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If you pay attention to interviews with Paul Elio he actually explains the reasoning. It's not about keeping it as a motorcycle, or else they wouldn't be working so hard to get a new classification so drivers don't need to meet motorcycle regulations. Nor is it about trying to keep it from being classified as car to keep costs down. If that were the case then they wouldn't be pursuing a 5-star crash test rating which drives car costs in the states up.

No, if you listen to him in numerous interviews, the 3-wheel design was used for the fuel economy goal. The single rear wheel allows for the narrow frame to lower the wind resistance. It also lowers the rolling resistance by having less friction with the ground than with 4-wheels.

If you scour the internet you will find that the top designs in efficiency these days are using the same 3-wheeled design. I will make a thread to share a link for this eco-marathon race sponsored by Shell. The winner this year was a school from Canada that also won last year. Their tear drop design (3-wheeled) achieved 2,824 miles per gallon. This was less than they did last year with 3,587 miles per gallon. Look for a different thread on that though.

Last edited:

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you pay attention to interviews with Paul Elio he actually explains the reasoning. It's not about keeping it as a motorcycle, or else they wouldn't be working so hard to get a new classification so drivers don't need to meet motorcycle regulations. Nor is it about trying to keep it from being classified as car to keep costs down. ...snip...
You can spin it any way you want but the fact is if the Elio was suddenly considered a car it would be subjected to a whole new set of government regulations and the cost would better than double. The number of people exited about paying 20 grand for one wouldn't be enough to keep the project alive.

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
You can spin it any way you want but the fact is if the Elio was suddenly considered a car it would be subjected to a whole new set of government regulations and the cost would better than double. The number of people exited about paying 20 grand for one wouldn't be enough to keep the project alive.

And you can spin it anyway you want, but the two biggest reasons for the prices of cars these days is the name on car caused by executive greed, and federal safety regulations. In that order. Since the Elio executives aren't looking to squeeze every penny they can from their potential customers, the cost of the Elio is able to be low. They are still designing it to meet top safety regulations with the 5-star crash test rating while still meeting the price point.

Top Bottom