• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Are The Other Big Car Companies Thinking About Elio?

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No such thing as monopoly for long. If there's money to be made provided EM had a successful launch, they'll jump on the bandwagon. Imagine the big 3 introducing their own version of this reverse trike...or their European counterpart! We're looking at the future of automobile w/sub 10K ...lots of choices to buy....I'll buy them all! Do I believe it will happen...why not, if it's good for the environment....people will embrace it...they will even love it!:D

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What the big automakers do or do not do is entirely dependent on the success of Elio. If Elio fulfills only a nich segment of the market they can probably live with that and leave Paul et. al. alone. Given the unique nature of the Elio I can't see where it would be a threat to the major automakers though.

WCCFLY

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Elio ,in my opinion is coming closest to the concept for this type of auto. First of all your buying half of a car so it needs to cost half the price and get twice the mileage. My wife is already commenting on how all of the options I'll be adding will probably get the price close to a new Hyandi Elantra. For an average family of 4 to park that gas guzzling pickup and still drive the family sedan to the supermarket and own a three wheeler , that said 3 wheeler can't cost $30,000. With a little prudence this vehicle could be a great long term strategy/investment especially if the life of the families other vehicles could be extended as long as safety isn't an issue. As for me I ride a motorcycle on occasion.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reality check: People's habits does not change overnight. I could still see people driving their big trucks, SUV's, Motor coaches towing an ELIO, heck I see myself still driving my 1999 Corolla to haul my family somewhere, etc. because we still live in a free America were we can do and buy whatever the heck we want without breaking the law or not offending other people! But EM is a good start. It will not compete with a regular car obviously because it's a trike and the Big 3 will continue their merry way of producing what "works" for them but will eventually explore and go back to the drawing boards and see how they can improve on an "existing product like the ELIO" (I'm moving the time forward) and introduce their own version. ;)

Last edited:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No such thing as monopoly for long. If there's money to be made provided EM had a successful launch, they'll jump on the bandwagon. Imagine the big 3 introducing their own version of this reverse trike...or their European counterpart! We're looking at the future of automobile w/sub 10K ...lots of choices to buy....I'll buy them all! Do I believe it will happen...why not, if it's good for the environment....people will embrace it...they will even love it!:D

EM is making this car for around $5,450. Big 3 would have that in Union Labor and Health cost.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JMO, it will never happen. The only way Big 3 could get any of the market, would be to under price EM or come within a K$, with ten more options as standard. JMO

Well the Big 3 (Toyota, General Motors, and Volkswagen) all or will have 3 cylinder engines in production before Elio's (projected) production date. They have economies of scale Elio can only dream of. They have engineers, advanced testing, etc., etc., etc., The automakers could easily get out a vehicle like the Elio in less than 12 months (imo). No need to certify engine, would already be in a production car. 3 wheeler very little to make legal compared to a car. Dealer network, in place.

I subscribe to the theory if Elio makes it to production (as someone already pointed out) this will be a niche vehicle. I also doubt they will be able to able to sell vehicle for $6800 and make a profit, stay in business. But if it does make it to production, I fully expect Elio to sell vehicle to depositors for $6800.00.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well the Big 3 (Toyota, General Motors, and Volkswagen) all or will have 3 cylinder engines in production before Elio's (projected) production date. They have economies of scale Elio can only dream of. They have engineers, advanced testing, etc., etc., etc., The automakers could easily get out a vehicle like the Elio in less than 12 months (imo). No need to certify engine, would already be in a production car. 3 wheeler very little to make legal compared to a car. Dealer network, in place.

I subscribe to the theory if Elio makes it to production (as someone already pointed out) this will be a niche vehicle. I also doubt they will be able to able to sell vehicle for $6800 and make a profit, stay in business. But if it does make it to production, I fully expect Elio to sell vehicle to depositors for $6800.00.
Well thanks to EM for doing all the research, leg work and all the legal hugging for the big 3. With all the money the big 3 have, all they have to do is change the body design and bingo...they have their very own trike to sell! Again, the longer it takes for EM to come up with the necessary funds, the less realistic it is to achieve their base selling price of $6,800.
EM is making this car for around $5,450. Big 3 would have that in Union Labor and Health cost.
Then you might as well say goodbye to EM and your deposit because even EM can't get around not paying health costs to their workers if they ever get that far into production! Sometimes if "it's too good to be true".......you know the rest. The whole concept and goals EM set are real "attention grabber" and that's what lead us to this point. Everybody jump on the chance to get an ELIO thinking the financing and the set price are easily attainable. Still, I give them 50/50 'till they're all done with the testing and if there's no new money coming in to finance this project...then I can say goodbye to my 1K. ;)

Last edited:

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wondering what the oil companies are saying..I'm sure Japan, Korea and a few American companies have one on the drawing board.. most probable waiting to see how it sells.. Other will offer a buy out or partnership if it sells well.. Rember a car company named GEO ?

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wondering what the oil companies are saying..I'm sure Japan, Korea and a few American companies have one on the drawing board.. most probable waiting to see how it sells.. Other will offer a buy out or partnership if it sells well.. Rember a car company named GEO ?

A rebadged Isuzu sold in Chevrolet dealerships. GM owned part of Isuzu. Ever hear of Nummi? Built Corrola's and Nova's, joint venture beween Toyota and General Motors. Like Geo venture, to help manufacture with cafe.

Top Bottom