• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is Elio Stock Trading For Today?

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$7,500 federal EV tax credit eliminated by a Republican Congress a possible outcome... Just messenger here.... My opinion... GO ELIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Both parties will be doing it as stated in the article removing the $7,500, the car companies start losing the tax breaks when they reach 200k sold in 2018.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that the EV tax credit has run it's course, and accomplished exactly what it was intended to do. EV purchasing received a boost, production and interest increased, and now Chevy and Tesla are both introducing "affordable" long range EVs (under $40k, or less than the price of an SUV). Battery technology has improved significantly over the last 10 years, and is continuing to move in leaps and bounds now that electric cars are firmly rooted in the automotive firmament.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you Sethodine. The intended purpose of the EV credit has performed it's purpose. The only people who get the full benefit of the $7,500 tax benefit are people who pay $7,500 or more in taxes per year. If you only owe $5,000 in taxes, the EV credit will lower your tax bill to $0 and no further. It does not carry over to the next year. Still, a good deal for the car buyer But it's a raw deal for us tax payers. I mean, you have your minimum wage employee subsidizing a bunch of rich guys' $100,000 Tesla Roadsters. Somehow, that's supposed to be fair, I guess.

Anyway, that's all coming to an end and I just hope that Tesla doesn't suddenly find its market gutted because their cars suddenly get $7,500 more expensive overnight.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you Sethodine. The intended purpose of the EV credit has performed it's purpose. The only people who get the full benefit of the $7,500 tax benefit are people who pay $7,500 or more in taxes per year. If you only owe $5,000 in taxes, the EV credit will lower your tax bill to $0 and no further. It does not carry over to the next year. Still, a good deal for the car buyer But it's a raw deal for us tax payers. I mean, you have your minimum wage employee subsidizing a bunch of rich guys' $100,000 Tesla Roadsters. Somehow, that's supposed to be fair, I guess.

Anyway, that's all coming to an end and I just hope that Tesla doesn't suddenly find its market gutted because their cars suddenly get $7,500 more expensive overnight.

If you lease the vehicle, you get the full credit, regardless of your financial situation. Many people get the full tax credit that cannot afford a Tesla, and depending on your deductions the the Avg. household in the US nearly qualifies for the full refund.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if a government subsidy can really go away? It isn't normal. It's usually the closest thing on earth to eternal life.
I'm not sure if it has an expiration date like the electric motorcycle rebate, but I do know that it is based "per manufacturer". Once a company has sold X number of electric cars, the rebate begins to taper off until eventually there is no rebate for cars from that manufacturer. Tesla is very close to the limit, as I think Nissan is as well.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it has an expiration date like the electric motorcycle rebate, but I do know that it is based "per manufacturer". Once a company has sold X number of electric cars, the rebate begins to taper off until eventually there is no rebate for cars from that manufacturer. Tesla is very close to the limit, as I think Nissan is as well.
I'm going way out on a limb and saying, "Good Legislation"...for a change.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you lease the vehicle, you get the full credit, regardless of your financial situation. Many people get the full tax credit that cannot afford a Tesla, and depending on your deductions the the Avg. household in the US nearly qualifies for the full refund.
You get the full credit UP TO the amount of tax you paid for that year. Anything above that goes away. If you only paid $5,000 in tax, that's all you'll get off your taxes as a credit for the EV.

Top Bottom