• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is Elio Stock Trading For Today?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is it? Have you heard word about it or us that just hope? If it is definitely going to happen I might consider buying some of the fire sale priced shares.
My mistake. I found a conversation back on November 29th and we were talking about facts under the "Somethings Gotta Give". What I found is that it will probably happen Spring 2018. That is not the same as "It's going to happen Spring 2018". Sorry.

I did find this post though (the same date):
"Be careful with Elio. It does not qualify as QX any more, if it goes to QB the drop can be real quick."

There's someone with some good knowledge of the situation.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's always the chance that EM saying, "we are willing to let a Big Money Buyer in to take us to production, and a controlling interest would be acceptable." would send the stock down to 15 cents a share. Not everyone feels the way we do. It's the old be careful what you wish for thing.
ElioMotors has few sellable assets. On the other hand, they do have a 3 wheeler design ready for production. Any Big Money, would only have the choice of bringing the ELIO to production, as for where and when and how much, that would be the other story.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What could Paul say? "No intention of giving up" ? We already know that.
What ElioMotors could say is, we are willing to let a Big Money Buyer in to take us to production, and a controlling interest would be acceptable.
Sharing the Elio Motors endeavor is the only way I can see for Paul to get this done.
Yes If he did that a year ago he had bargaining power and would have made a fortune, now they are probably waiting for bankruptcy, and deal with Stu directly.
ElioMotors has few sellable assets. On the other hand, they do have a 3 wheeler design ready for production. Any Big Money, would only have the choice of bringing the ELIO to production, as for where and when and how much, that would be the other story.
Stu controls all the assets. Don't think the design is worth much, nothing unique or patented.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes If he did that a year ago he had bargaining power and would have made a fortune, now they are probably waiting for bankruptcy, and deal with Stu directly.

Stu controls all the assets. Don't think the design is worth much, nothing unique or patented.
Do not know about any patents, but I have looked for any enclosed tadpole FWD 3 wheelers, and all I find is the Elio.
Thus, ELIO could definitely be defined as unique.
Right now, the only thing that comes close to what Elio would be is The Vanderhall, which in not enclosed, and costs 30K.

Last edited:

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do not know about any patents, but I have looked for any enclosed tadpole FWD 3 wheelers, and all I find is the Elio.
Thus, ELIO could definitely be defined as unique.
Right now, the only thing that comes close to what Elio would be is The Vanderhall, which in not enclosed, and costs 30K.
Is the Elio chassis design finalized? Does the engine meet the design specs? I think the Elio price point of $8K hinged on a large demand and an ability to get 250K vehicles pumped out a year. You might be profitable to sell 1K or so a year at $30K, but demand would be zero for the version that "exists" now. So I agree, the design by itself is near worthless. If they could somehow package it with the GM facility, it may be more enticing. Gas prices are too low/stable and new ICE cars are efficient "enough" that the public isnt screaming for a tiny commuter to save them. If the Elio had been an option when the "Le Car", Yugo, and Suzuki options were hot, they would have cleaned house.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is the Elio chassis design finalized? Does the engine meet the design specs? I think the Elio price point of $8K hinged on a large demand and an ability to get 250K vehicles pumped out a year. You might be profitable to sell 1K or so a year at $30K, but demand would be zero for the version that "exists" now. So I agree, the design by itself is near worthless. If they could somehow package it with the GM facility, it may be more enticing. Gas prices are too low/stable and new ICE cars are efficient "enough" that the public isnt screaming for a tiny commuter to save them. If the Elio had been an option when the "Le Car", Yugo, and Suzuki options were hot, they would have cleaned house.

You bring up a good point. They could build a $30K Elio and be much further along. That's not what the design parameters are, thus it's far from complete.

As for assets, it's a 42% design that needs $85M more to be complete. A number of prototypes and whatever IP they have. They don't own any facility and of the equipment they own, they still have a huge loan that they must pay off before they actually own it, right now CH Capital owns it. They have no patents and only a copyright (which is not worth much). Then they just keep running up debt with IOU's, so each month the numbers look more grim.

This reminds me of the internet boom. In the late 90's, all you had to do was have two $10K computers wired to each other and demonstrate what your program could do. Thus people funded it. problem was, people had dialup 56K modems and 3-4 year old home PC's. The product wouldn't work and needed to be designed for what the real world had. Lots of those designs work well today but not back in 1997. It's just like here in town we had Agere Technologies. They made fiber optic equipment and were the next big thing. They became it for about 2 years and then went broke. Problem was, they had a great design but only 5% of the country had fiber optic lines run. Thus, not enough customers to stay in business. Someone bought the IP and are probably doing fine today.

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm not a shareholder. How much of the recent activity is sellers locking in their capital loss, waiting for 30 days (called a wash sale rule or something like that), then repurchase at hopefully a lower cost basis? Watch for activity in January, those are your tax loss shareholders who have faith in the stock, now with lower cost basis.

It's hard for people to sell stock at a loss, since it admits you made a bet and lost, but really it's just smart tax planning, and smarter if you have short-term loss over long-term loss. Problem is that going forward, there's tremendous uncertainty on how gains and losses will be calculated (that was not meant to be a political comment). Selling stock for a loss is just part of investing, and important this year. It's something I'm doing in another position, where I bought on hopes which never materialized. Sound familiar?

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a shareholder. How much of the recent activity is sellers locking in their capital loss, waiting for 30 days (called a wash sale rule or something like that), then repurchase at hopefully a lower cost basis? Watch for activity in January, those are your tax loss shareholders who have faith in the stock, now with lower cost basis.

It's hard for people to sell stock at a loss, since it admits you made a bet and lost, but really it's just smart tax planning, and smarter if you have short-term loss over long-term loss. Problem is that going forward, there's tremendous uncertainty on how gains and losses will be calculated (that was not meant to be a political comment). Selling stock for a loss is just part of investing, and important this year. It's something I'm doing in another position, where I bought on hopes which never materialized. Sound familiar?
The stock price is going down because there are a lack of buyers, not people selling off. Considering that it is a great time for optimists to average down,
10k share volume is very worrisome.

Reaction score
I don't get it Samalross, Except for August, Elio stock has only a handful of days with over 10k stocks traded, all year. Could it be, the few stock available are being horded by folks like me? Instead of buying another pretty little dress, I am buying a few more stocks from those people needing tax credits? Their need is greater than mine, therefore the prices keep dropping. Besides that, Under 10k elio stocks being traded is normal. Why be worried more now?

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't get it Samalross, Except for August, Elio stock has only a handful of days with over 10k stocks traded, all year. Could it be, the few stock available are being horded by folks like me? Instead of buying another pretty little dress, I am buying a few more stocks from those people needing tax credits? Their need is greater than mine, therefore the prices keep dropping. Besides that, Under 10k elio stocks being traded is normal. Why be worried more now?
The problem is that with the price drop, very few people want the stock. For that price drop it should have been hundreds of thousands of shares of stock. The price is about a third of what is was since funding announcement, yet few people consider it a bargain.

Top Bottom