• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is Elio Stock Trading For Today?

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...plus I even asked Elio employees these question when I looked at the car at two shows:

Q: Why don't you use an existing engine?
A: The Elio engine is special and designed specifically to get up to 84 mpg. No other company makes an engine that will work for the Elio.

Q: Why don't you use a unibody instead of a tube frame chassis? You already own a massive steel stamping operation and nobody makes a cheap tube frame car.
A: The tube frame chassis will incorporate a roll cage and we can make it as cheap as a unibody.

Q: Why don't you use a traditional instrument cluster because the Elgin one looks like it's very difficult to read?
A: The Elgin instrument cluster will be the only one used because it's a personal touch Paul is doing because of his father. Plus, we have only got positive feedback on it and it's not difficult to read at all.
Was this an example of "garbage in, garbage out" and employees trained to be parrots or what? LOL.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I gave my lists of "I always wondered why" plus I even asked Elio employees these question when I looked at the car at two shows:

Q: Why don't you use an existing engine?
A: The Elio engine is special and designed specifically to get up to 84 mpg. No other company makes an engine that will work for the Elio.

Q: Why don't you use a unibody instead of a tube frame chassis? You already own a massive steel stamping operation and nobody makes a cheap tube frame car.
A: The tube frame chassis will incorporate a roll cage and we can make it as cheap as a unibody.

Q: Why don't you use a traditional instrument cluster because the Elgin one looks like it's very difficult to read?
A: The Elgin instrument cluster will be the only one used because it's a personal touch Paul is doing because of his father. Plus, we have only got positive feedback on it and it's not difficult to read at all.

Interesting part is, I bet everyone in Detroit told Elio to not use a tube frame, don't use your own engine and that dash is not user friendly at all, thus the reason why nobody uses that design. I do have a pretty good feeling that there will be something that's going to happen with those front fenders too. Those are going to be a real problem when the general public starts driving and logging lots of miles on them. Nobody here will have an issue because everyone here is a better driver, but as for everyone else, not the case. There's a reason why street cars do not use a fender design like that. Someone in Detroit has had to of told Elio about the potential issues with it.
Like the Plymouth Prowler?

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was just waiting for the right time, and the time is approaching very soon.
Have faith, it will happen.
blues 1.jpg

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like the Plymouth Prowler?
I was waiting for someone to bring that up. My brother owns one. he bought it new back in 1997. It's purple and I think there's only like 500 of them. Anyway, it's on it's 4th set of front fenders.

Set 1 - Lasted 800 miles. LF cracked and fell off. Both replaced under warranty (redesign)
Set 2 - Lasted until 2,000 miles. Same problem as set 1. Replaced under warranty (redesign)
Set 3 - Lasted until 2,500 miles and the RF flew off during a rain storm. Replaced under warranty (redesign)
Set 4 - Still on it today (car has 11K on it). Both had stress cracks and he spent the winter (because Prowlers are not everyday cars but only to be used for weekends and car shows) reinforcing them with aluminum sheet and tig welded in inserts. So far, they are fine.

I told him those fenders were going to be a problem. I think the joke got old about 10 years ago. So now all it does is just sits in the garage and driven probably 3 times in the summer. BTW, go to a group of Prowler owners, you will be reprimanded if you ever touch a fender. I talked to him yesterday and those fenders were $800 each when Chrysler still made them. Today, someone makes them aftermarket because they are NLA.

If you talk to my brother, the Prowler fenders was not a crowing achievement but a nightmare. He's had it for just over 20 years and is the typical Prowler owner. Low miles and rarely driven. As we all know the Elio will be seeing 20K per year for everyday use and driven in the winter. It's a completely different beast as opposed to that Prowler which most are garage queens.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the fender configuration proves to be a problem, all I can say is there will be a lot of it going around...

41465106_2039530619410932_5573609597236674560_n.jpg

You do realize that the Arcimoto is not going to be seeing the mileage and all weather conditions that the Elio will see. Show me people that are cranking out 20K per year in all 4 seasons (where places get all 4 seasons) and I'll be a believer.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to bring that up. My brother owns one. he bought it new back in 1997. It's purple and I think there's only like 500 of them. Anyway, it's on it's 4th set of front fenders.

Set 1 - Lasted 800 miles. LF cracked and fell off. Both replaced under warranty (redesign)
Set 2 - Lasted until 2,000 miles. Same problem as set 1. Replaced under warranty (redesign)
Set 3 - Lasted until 2,500 miles and the RF flew off during a rain storm. Replaced under warranty (redesign)
Set 4 - Still on it today (car has 11K on it). Both had stress cracks and he spent the winter (because Prowlers are not everyday cars but only to be used for weekends and car shows) reinforcing them with aluminum sheet and tig welded in inserts. So far, they are fine.

I told him those fenders were going to be a problem. I think the joke got old about 10 years ago. So now all it does is just sits in the garage and driven probably 3 times in the summer. BTW, go to a group of Prowler owners, you will be reprimanded if you ever touch a fender. I talked to him yesterday and those fenders were $800 each when Chrysler still made them. Today, someone makes them aftermarket because they are NLA.

If you talk to my brother, the Prowler fenders was not a crowing achievement but a nightmare. He's had it for just over 20 years and is the typical Prowler owner. Low miles and rarely driven. As we all know the Elio will be seeing 20K per year for everyday use and driven in the winter. It's a completely different beast as opposed to that Prowler which most are garage queens.

Thanks for that information, that is very good data for the discussion! I was just thinking yesterday about the aftermarket for Elio fenders. Reinforced braces, carbon fiber, different styles, etc. I would think snow would demolish the current closed design. If Elio sells in the high volumes they are seeking as opposed to the low volumes like the Prowler, I bet we will have decent aftermarket support in no time.

Or maybe Elio will hit the mark with robustness from the get-go.

Top Bottom