• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Particular Feature About The Elio Atracted You Besides Just The Price?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I admit the price got my attention, but that alone was not enough for me. I
t was a econo car that was really strange looking and it's odd shape is what got my attention the most.
Appearance, price and mileage were all at the top. A higher price and I would not have bothered to look because of my income status. Appearance - the Elio very simply looks fun to drive and it has been a very long time since I drove a fun car. Mileage will allow me to actually travel a bit more without worrying about spending too much on gas. How can I choose just one when all three are so important to me. :-) Z

krabblegg

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Ever since seeing 007 having his Renault sedan chopped in half by a drawbridge and he kept driving with the front wheel drive. I told myself I don't need 4 wheels. Why not just the 2 front wheels and 1 in the rear. So I decided if a 3 wheeler was ever built that made sense I would buy it. Therefore, I'm all in for 1K. Can't wait.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ever since seeing 007 having his Renault sedan chopped in half by a drawbridge and he kept driving with the front wheel drive. I told myself I don't need 4 wheels. Why not just the 2 front wheels and 1 in the rear. So I decided if a 3 wheeler was ever built that made sense I would buy it. Therefore, I'm all in for 1K. Can't wait.
Krabblegg, welcome to the forum and to the exciting world of the Elio. Hope you find the forum entertaining and informative. Using its search function will enable you to quickly find the answer to nearly every question about the Elio you may have. If not, just ask because we are an eclectic, friendly and helpful group and someone will try to answer your questions. Congratulations on your decision to join this journey and hope you find the experience rewarding.

Last edited:

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The three wheel stance in an enclosed vehicle. (I payed 18 grand for my CanAm Spyder and the weather beat me every day. Now it won't. + all the other bennys of a car. All at a fraction of what the CanAm ran.) Ad front wheel drive extras and you have some idea of how I got here.
MK

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is very similar to a concept commuter vehicle I designed in about 1989 but never built. I commuted on a motorcycle back then but my work requirements and the weather meant that it was often impractical. I needed cheap but practical transport for just me and a small amount of luggage without having to dress like a sewer worker to combat bad weather!

There are other trikes out there but they are for recreation only; this is the first one that comes in the form of a practical commuter vehicle.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As the regulars here know, it goes way-way back for me. The why's start all the way back in the late70's. The Elio is the first production vehicle to fully embrace my Why's from back then. (see my logo?)

Anyway, a 3 wheeler with inline seating, wraps most all the mechanicals up into the aerodynamic form, yet leaves just enough platform to have a safe, all weather vehicle. With Two of the wheels powered there is another benefit.

In western Washington state, where I lived many years, it snows in the winter, but not enough that the average driver get very prepared for it. Few people get chains, few people get proficient at it. But the Elio has a full 70% of the tire area powered. This means the Elio will be able to drive in slippery conditions easier than most of the cars powered by 2wheels out there. Just my opinion, but, in most conditions, just with studded tires, you'll likely never need chains.

Professor Pierre M. Eithier in Canada is an expert on three wheel design. He's had a similar prototype for many years. Being in Canada he's been able to confirm that understanding many times over.
http://cll.qc.ca/Professeurs/Mecanique/ethierp/3-wheels/index.htm

Last edited:

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Appearance, price and mileage were all at the top. A higher price and I would not have bothered to look because of my income status. Appearance - the Elio very simply looks fun to drive and it has been a very long time since I drove a fun car. Mileage will allow me to actually travel a bit more without worrying about spending too much on gas. How can I choose just one when all three are so important to me. :) Z
I am with Z on this one. Hope you don't mind me quoting you as you said it all.

Top Bottom