• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheel Fenders, Fairings, Skirts, Covers

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want custom fenders for 2 reasons.
1) The main reason I want custom a LED stripe on my fenders is so that if someone passes me at night they can see the distance to the side they have to pass at, because some people pass really darn close to you and outrigger wheels are not normal.
2) Headlights on the fenders so the light steers into turns.
The picture below is precisely what I want (but with fully enclosed wheels)
Can-Am-Spyder~~element150.jpg
a can am spyder was in front of me today and had these on the fenders. Made the vehicle stand out. The lights blinked with the turn signals. Had a brake light on the bottom rear of the fenders. Really like that addition now that I have seen it on the road.

PJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm budgeting $10,000 for the Elio, with the post-all-in price being due $5300. The trade-in value of my current car is between $3000 and $4000, so I'm anticipating $3000, which would make the Elio $2300 out of pocket. To that I'm assuming $500 in assorted closing fees, $500 in delivery fees, $1000 for automatic transmission, $300 for cruise control. This brings the out of pocket cost up to $4600.

http://www.customlightingefx.com/Can-Am-Spyder.html
For the product TRI-Color MagicFLEX® Channels the cost will be $130, fender brake lights $100, fender headlights $150. The out of pocket cost is now $5000 (rounding) With a LCD instrument panel (to replace the Elgin design) I'm guessimating another $1000, making the out of pocket cost $6000.

I'm planning for a $10,000 401k loan at a 4% interest rate which gets paid back to myself instead of a bank :) and so that leaves $4000 to spend on other options with whatever is left going for a vacation in Yellowstone National Park :)
Thanks for the link I'm going to do the led strips for the fenders way to cool.

mdfb42

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I love all the ideas on fender brake lights and LED strips etc. but I am planning on Elio having all if that available for us meant for the car and not other aftermarket retrofit. Reason being is just like the Honda Goldwing. They make their money on the accessories because they have THOUSANDS of them so people can customize exactly how they want. I know Elio is in the business of providing a low cost car but they are also in the business of making money so I fully expect this to be an area they expand greatly on in order to make the company succeed

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. . .I know Elio is in the business of providing a low cost car but they are also in the business of making money so I fully expect this to be an area they expand greatly on in order to make the company succeed
I used to have some design discussions with one of the Elio Designer guys here in Mesa, AZ. He definately said something to that effect when I talked to him last, 'bout 5 weeks ago.

mdfb42

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I used to have some design discussions with one of the Elio Designer guys here in Mesa, AZ. He definately said something to that effect when I talked to him last, 'bout 5 weeks ago.
GREAT to hear that! I am hoping for that so mods don't void warranty but if not available thru Elio I guess it's good my best friend owns a motorcycle shop haha

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw someone else post this previously. The wheel covers are supposedly easy to remove. I plan to keep mine off while in town and put them on if I do some traveling to increase to highway mpg. Best of both worlds.
That was me :)

I asked at the Columbus show and Don told me that there will be 2 posts coming from the wheel struts that 2 sleeves on the fender go over and tighten with a set screw :p

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree wholeheratedly with foxey fox - the covered wheels and two-tone paint job look absolutely
dreadful. The reasons for them are obvious - MPG and cost, cheaper plain steel wheels that don't
even have covers (eliminating covers was a cost move, not an aero move). I seriously doubt that
any driver could ever notice (or even measure) any difference in MPG regardless of which fenders
they used - it was simply a matter of being able to produce a test verified "84MPG" (rather than "81MPG" )
after promising that figure. Around town those fenders might produce 49 MPG rather than 48MPG. Big deal.
And that's where most of a car's mileage occurs, not on the Interstates. Regardless, the fact that
the original fenders and wheels are an option is OK with me.
However, Paul Elio is going on all this video interviews accompanied by only the standard Elio,
which I think is a BIG mistake, because people aren't going to know just how much more attractive
the car can be. Paul is concentrating way too much on hitting his low numbers, and losing sales
in the process. He needs to bring two prototypes with him for his TV video interviews. Looks
SELL CARS, they always have, they always will. It almost seems as though Paul believes that all his
customers will be near-sighted. Generally speaking, it doesn't cost any more to build a pretty car than it
does to build an ugly car : it only requires one guy with a sense of style - like Gerry Coker, who as a
young English lad did the entire styling for the immortal Austin-Healey. It was the first (and best) car he ever styled.

Top Bottom