• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheel Fenders, Fairings, Skirts, Covers

D.D.Bwana

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
With those outrigger wheels there is a good possibility that driving through a puddle with the window down will spray the driver. Even with the wheel skirts water and other "stuff" will have chance of getting thrown through the window. Which is why I will probably be driving with the windows up...

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing thread

Last edited by a moderator:

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Probably a good argument for Air and Heat so you don't have to have the window down. I only drive with mine down when I have to cool off my car before the air kicks in. If you like to drive with the windows down better pick a dry day. :)
That being said the fender looks like it will block most crap from the road. I had a CanAm Spyder for a while and never had a problem and the thing had a lot less fender going on.
MK

D.D.Bwana

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the fenders will help, they won't stop everything. And I believe the geometry between the CanAm wheels and the Elio wheels is quite different.

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have wondered if a high fin on the fender (especially the left fender) might be more visible to those drivers who like to pass "tight-in" -- like with their right side wheels in your lane. I can see some of those protruding left wheel assemblies being clipped by inattentive, distracted, or downright hostile drivers.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have wondered if a high fin on the fender (especially the left fender) might be more visible to those drivers who like to pass "tight-in" -- like with their right side wheels in your lane. I can see some of those protruding left wheel assemblies being clipped by inattentive, distracted, or downright hostile drivers.
o_O

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It has been said, that those black wheel shrouds will be available in body color, or paintable at a later time. I personally believe that they are necessary to achieve the stated mpg goals, and I like the look. I will be painting mine body color.

PS: Someone said that EM was going with "STEEL WHEELS" to save costs...Is this a "verified fact?" as I thought aluminum wheels were also needed to reach the "84" goal.

mdfb42

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
William this is a great example for why all future Elio owners should take a local motorcycle safety course. I for one will be driving it like I ride my motorcycle. If someone is passing me on the left I will purposely move to lane 1 (left third of the lane) in order to say "hey I'm here and this is my space" so they don't steal your space. Additionally, if you are in lane 1 and they cut it short you have lane two and three to move too instead of being in lane 3 with the ditch being your only option to avoid an unintelligent driver. Obviously not as much wiggle room with the Elio as there is with a motorcycle but I will be squeezing out those inches to claim my spot on the road.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been concerned about someone clipping one of the front wheel assemblies in a parking lot as they swing into a space alongside. That would probably be an expensive repair. Since I'm planning on yellow or red, they should be visible, but reflectors might help at night.

Underway, tooling along on the freeway in a "different" looking car, I have another concern: You know how they teach you in just about every driver training course to avoid staring at a point because that's where you'll go? Well, if someone's staring at my Elio, there's a better-than-even chance he's going to run into me. I really don't want to meet friends that way!

D.D.Bwana

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been concerned about someone clipping one of the front wheel assemblies in a parking lot as they swing into a space alongside. That would probably be an expensive repair. Since I'm planning on yellow or red, they should be visible, but reflectors might help at night.

Underway, tooling along on the freeway in a "different" looking car, I have another concern: You know how they teach you in just about every driver training course to avoid staring at a point because that's where you'll go? Well, if someone's staring at my Elio, there's a better-than-even chance he's going to run into me. I really don't want to meet friends that way!
I am more nervous about me clipping someone or something else with those wheels. I usually use my mirrors as a reference when passing close to something.

Top Bottom